Peru 19-30 July


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lambayeque » Chiclayo
July 19th 2006
Published: August 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

LimaLimaLima

Yummy roasted guinea pig
Chiclayo - The bus from Loja (Ecuador) crosed the border at Macara and finished in Piura (Peru). Didn´t look much so I got another bus to Chiclayo on the coast. Bad idea. This is just another frantic, dirty town with little to see. Should have gone further south to Trujillo but never mind - could never pronounce it anyway!

Lima - Night bus to Lima was fantastic - go Cruz du Sur! Reclining seats, aeroplane means (ok not that good), TV and Bingo games kept us amused. The rumour about freezing on Peruvian buses seemed unfounded - I was more in danger of frying to death. Stayed in Lima for a couple of day. It was a shock how modern if was - found my favorite fast food chains and department stores. Stayed in Miraflores which is a nice and safer suburb of Lima which has many restaurants and touristy stuff.

After my camera was nearly lost in a snatch and grab in downtown Lima, one of the guys from the hostel volunteered to guide me around downtown as it was too dangerous to do alone. We saw fantastic architecture, plazas, grand statues an churches. I also encountered my first roasted "cuoy" (guinea pig) on a spit which is a delicacy. Also found out about the medicinal drink whereby a whole frop is dropped into a blender with egg and other stuff. Yum!

Arequipa - another night bus. Sitting next to an Arequipian i heard the inside scoop on the town and also why Peru is the only country to make proper Pisco (of course!). Apart from the other good stuff about Arequipa, there are heaps and heaps of gigantic cream cakes and chocolate shops. Say no more..

Colca Canyon - Taking off from Arequipa, I did a 2 day tour of the Colca Canyon. On the way to the town of Chivay we saw loads of cute llamas, alpacas and vicunas - I still don´t know which is which. Also the compulsary andean craft stalls at every photo stop. One girl dramatically collapsed due to altitude sickness, but was up dancing with the rest of us at the evening pena!. As it was the coldest i´ve even been (due to altitude), the hot springs were fantastic to get the feeling in toes back again!
One the 2nd day we viewed gliding condors at Cabanaconde - Colca Canyon which is the 2nd deepest canyon in the world. On the way back to Arequipa we saw more handicrafts, spectacular views and other villages. Well worth the trip and the frostbite.

Cuzco - very touristy but very beautiful as well. The buildings, plazas, churches and cobblestone streets make it a very pretty town. This is the jumping off point for booking treks to Macchu Picchu. As the classic 4 day hike was booked up months in advance in high season, i took the easy option of doing it in a day by taking the tourist train. Missed seeing the sunrise from Sun Gate but also saved hundreds on the trek.

Puno - took the tourist bus to Puno which takes longer than a regular bus but stops at 4 or 5 attractions on the way. At Puno i did a day trip on Lake Titicaca which took in the Floating Islands - very touristy. I´d like proof that the locals really sleep there and don´t just come in from the mainland each day! Also saw Isle Taquile which was more authentic.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

PunoPuno
Puno

Floating Islands


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb