Ruins Around Trujillo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Trujillo
September 19th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Peruvian Hairless DogPeruvian Hairless DogPeruvian Hairless Dog

They really exist. And they really are hairless. It´s kind of weird to pet them.
Today we went on a tour of Huaca del Sol y Luna, and of Chan Chan, two different sites around Trujillo.

Huaca del Sol y Luna (the temples of the sun and moon) are two pyramids of the Moche culture, which ruled between 100 and 900 AD. As soon as we got there, we saw a Peruvian hairless dog. These dogs have a high body temperature, and were used as bed warmers in ancient times. Then we went inside the temple of the moon, which was the religious center, and saw lots of mosaics of their god. We didn´t go inside the temple of the sun, which was the administrative center, because it is collapsed.

Later, we went to Chan Chan, the ruins of a huge city of the Chimu, which ruled between around 900 AD until the Inca conquered them, around 1400. The city was divided into 9 sections, and only one of them is open to the public. There really isn´t much left intact there, but just the size is impressive.

Although our guide for the day spoke English, the entire group (except us) was Spanish speaking (most from Peru, one from Ecuador, and one from
Huaca del SolHuaca del SolHuaca del Sol

Temple of the sun. This was the administrative center.
Spain), so the guidance was in Spanish. Efrat understood a little, I understood even less. Still, it was good practice.

In about 2 hours we´re getting on a night bus to Huaraz, wish us luck.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Huaca del LunaHuaca del Luna
Huaca del Luna

Inside the temple of the moon. This was the religious center.
Chan ChanChan Chan
Chan Chan

This was a huge city once. We only saw one part out of the 9 there are.


Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb