From the Dancefloor to the Hot Tub...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Trujillo
March 5th 2007
Published: March 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post


"Huanchaco, Huanchaco!" comes the shrill cry from a young woman leaning periously out of the collectivo door. The bus is lined with trinkets of all descriptions and old and battered, it grumbles down the highway to the tune of poppy (annoying) Reggaeton.

"Huanchacho, Huanchaco!" Leaning my head against the window, I watch the Peruvian desert roll by, met onimously by the mighty Pacific. Over the next few days, I will learn the subtle intracies of this small coastal town; the cheap set menus of fresh seafood, the small bars that line the dusty backstreets, glorious sunsets that conclude each day, the traditional reed fishing boats (still used practically) thought to have been the origins of surfing and, the primary reason for my stay, the rich history of the area.

Between the main city of Trujillo and Huanchaco lies the mysterious Chan Chan, ancient city of the Chimu people. Pre-dating the Incas, the Chimu people built this city in the 12th century. It is thought to be the largest adobe settlement ever to have existed. Surrounded by 10-12 metre walls, the main palace city had a population of up to 100,000 people, all living under the rule of the King, his Queen and his 44 concubines (stop drooling Deano)! The city walls and structures were intricately decorated and as you walk by, it is impossible not to be in awe of such magnificent historical construction. The Chimu people, as most civilization were in the times, were a violent people and made regular human and animal sacrifices to the land, water and sky. The Incas invaded in the late 15th century and killed a majority of the Chimu people but left the palaces and surrounding temples intact. It wasn't until the Spanish arrived in the following century that a great deal of this mighty city was pillaged and destroyed.

The world I arrived in six days ago was somewhat different. I have captured by an alluring spell of meeting friends and locals, partying until sunrise, relaxing by the waves and adjusting to a new lifestlye.

Tonight I push on to Lima, leaving behind fond memories of tranquil Huanchaco, a place where it is easy for a traveller to happily get lost in the moment, and in the history.

P.S-For those still trying to determine the meaning of the heading, don't bother, there is none. That one is for you Dean😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



17th March 2007

a dog with a mohawk?
Hey Dale! Just wanted to say that it has been an absolute pleasure to read your entries! The set up is great, and works amazingly... the text and the pictures all conveying your thoughts and experiences - it's nice to feel like a part of your adventure! :) And also, that picture of the dog is simply hilarious, he actually does have a mohawk! absolute legend! Take care bud, phil

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb