Saqsayhuaman and back to Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco
January 9th 2010
Published: September 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We got up early again to visit some ruins before we had to catch our flight back to Lima. We went to Saqsayhuaman, Q'enqo and a brief stop off at Pukapukara. While we didn't get to spend long at these ruins, they were fun to see. The Saqsayhuaman ruins were great. I loved seeing how huge the stones were and imagining how they were cut and put into place.

We got to the airport and got on the plane. Everyone was tired and starting to nod off, but as the plane started to take off, something felt wrong and suddenly the captain slammed on the brakes. It was scary. I already have a fear of flying and this did not help my anxiety at all. They moved the plane back and started again, only to slow down and not go. We sat on the plane for about 20 minutes, during which I fell asleep and had no idea what was going on. They had us get off the plane and we got to sit in the small airport for about 3 hours. We played a lot of cards to pass the time. Finally they had us get back on the plane, and I was nervous about taking off again, but we safely got off the ground and arrived in Lima.
Having been at such high altitudes it felt great to get back down to sea level. I could breathe again! Before going back to hotel we had originally stayed at, we stopped by the markets so that people could shop. The markets are dense and slightly repetitive in terms of what they have. It was still fun to walk around and look at things, and watch people bargain for better deals.
Since everyone else was leaving in the morning, we decided to go out for one last dinner together. We had 10:30p reservations at Astrid y Gaston, one of the best restaurants in Lima/Peru. I got some fantastic scallops served in shells. Adam got a weird veal/pork/potato dish...with tripe. Lucky him! I was definitely happier with my choice, even though he said his was alright.

It was a fun night, and after dinner hung out while Adam's dad, sister and brother-in-law packed and got ready to leave in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

saqsayhuamansaqsayhuaman
saqsayhuaman

View of Cusco from Saqsayhuaman
scallops!scallops!
scallops!

Delicious dinner at Astrid y Gaston


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb