Days 31 - 36 Cusco & Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco
December 21st 2010
Published: December 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Cusco at 6.30 in the morning, after the most uncomfroatble and sleepless bus journey possible, still weary/delicate after the Colca Canyon and short of breath arriving at about 2500m. We didn't have anywhere to stay and it took a while wandering the town to find somwhere we liked but once we did we booked for 3 nights and collapsed into bed and slept. Once we felt more human we had a good look around Cusco, a really beautiful and vibrant town which seemed a bit like a ski resort. A lovely old square surrounded by hills with lots of bars, restuarants and tourists.

The morning of the next day was spent deciding what to do about getting to Machu Piucchu. We had always thought we'd trek there but the rains and landslides of Colombia seem to have followed us to Peru so We thought we'd save our mountain legs for Patagonia where it should be sunmmer and dry and we decided to get the train and bus to Machu Picchu instead. Once we'd sorted all that out we had another good look around the town. Fortunately for Richard we managed to find a restaurant showing the third Ashes test which made him incredibly happy.

We visited a place called Sacsayhuaman (pronounced sexy woman) which is an old inca fortress behind Cusco which gives amazing views over Cusco and a good insight into Inca Civilisation. More of a look round the town (there is quite a lot to see!) and then early to bed for our train journey up to Machu Picchu. We have been craving non south american food and managed to find a place selling english soups, salads, and stews so went there twice in once day!

The train journey to Aguas Calientes (town closest to Machu Picchu) was spectacular although the town was not. There are some hot springs which were worth a visit and lots of restaurants but the main reason people are there is either to start or end their trip up to Machu Picchu. We were on the bus up to Machi Picchu at 5.30am and through the gates at 6 which was the earliest you can get there. We have seen postcards and pictures of it but nothing prepares you for the actual sight, it was incredible. We climed the mountain behind the sight (Wayna Picchu) which was a bit hairy and steep in places but very worthwhile for the views back to Machu Picchu and the surrounding hills. Fortunately neither of us regretted our decision not to walk there, we felt we really got to see the place as much as we could without being tired/muddy/wet after a trek there.

We made it back to Cusco that evening and then travelled on to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb