Tozer Honeymoon Weeks 9 & 10: Cusco & The Inca Trail to Machu Pichu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco
November 12th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cusco's Main SquareCusco's Main SquareCusco's Main Square

The flowers and clean air of Cusco made a welcome change to the polluted air of La Paz.
Digame!

Welcome to the one-before-the-penultimate update.... in the week when Sarah Palin became nothing but a footnote in the history book of how America got it's first black president. Joy!

Week 9 was not very interesting. Under siege in La Paz (with no Steven Segal jumping to our aide 😞 ), we took refuge in the hostel bar and DVD room. The people of La Paz clearly didn't want us around anymore (or rather, they never wanted us around), and the rock throwing, spitting, oxygen deprivation, dirty looks, scams, pollution and food poisoning had all began to take their toll.

But the waiting paid off, and we were able to finally get the bus to Cusco to start week 10. Once in Peru things started to improve. Being at a lower altitude walking became easier again, and the city itself was beautiful. However all this, it would turn out, was the calm before the storm.

The storm's name was "The Inca Trail". We met a few people in Cusco who had just returned from completing it. "Not too hard" were the words they used. THEY WERE LIARS.

The 1st day of the trail was deceptively easy,
Toot TootToot TootToot Toot

Sadly the Peruvian governments draconian ban on trumpets in public is still in place.
no doubt a sneaky trick to put some distance between you and the start, so giving up later on is harder. That night we camped at a tiny village where the locals insisted we play them at football. The best local team available taking on 6 strangers who don't breathe so good at 3000m above sea level.

When we beat them they sulked so much they refused to pose for any photograph or say goodbye, and wanted us to keep playing (beyond the FIFTY MINUTES we'd already managed) until we dropped and they could walk the football into the goal.

Day 2 started by going up, and continued very much in this vein for a long time. Then we went down, again for a long time. Then up, and then down again. All in all it was about 19km that went up 1200m, down 700m, up 600m then down 500m. As Hanna said, "Why go round the mountains when you can go directly over them?". The 1200m ascent took us up to 4200m above sea level, at a peak called "Dead Woman's Pass", where there's so little oxygen every step has you gasping for air.

Day 3
Come And Get Your Trinkets!Come And Get Your Trinkets!Come And Get Your Trinkets!

On the way to the Sacred Valley and the start of the Inca Trail we stopped in this small indigenous town. Here the Cholitas didn't mind being snapped.
was far less harsh, but by now our legs were torn and shredded tatters, so the easier trail felt harder. Then the final day, Day 4, started at 3:45am, so we could be the first in the queue to enter Machu Pichu national park. It worked, and by 6am we had reached the Sun Gate - the Inca entrance to Machu Pichu.

We spent the morning at Machu Pichu, sinews snapped and muscles ripped as we forced smiles for photo after photo. The sense of achievement was great, as was the sensation of physical pain.

Once back in Cusco the extensive recuperation program began. Full body massage - 4 pounds, gourmet meal - 15 pounds, cold beer - PRICELESS. By slowly marinading our battered bodies in various luxuries, we've managed to get back to 100%. Poor us.

We're now starting the journey up to Ecuador and the Galapogos Islands which will be the end of the trip. More about that in the next update.

Love

Dave & Hanna


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

DurpDurp
Durp

Hanna thinks they look regal. I think they look stupid. Either way, we both agree that the llamas are delicious.
BUCKARK!BUCKARK!
BUCKARK!

One of the few creatures we've seen but not eaten out here is the parrot. There's still time.
The Andean Mountain Blues BarThe Andean Mountain Blues Bar
The Andean Mountain Blues Bar

The night before the trail started we stayed in a tiny mountain town, where we managed to find this Blues Bar, playing bizarre Spanish covers of Jimi Hendrix songs. The seats were swings, the power cut out twice and rain came in through the roof. Good mohitos too!
The Prodigal Mascot Returns...The Prodigal Mascot Returns...
The Prodigal Mascot Returns...

We couldn't believe our luck when we ran into him. He's lost a lot of weight, traveled half the world and picked up a dodgy haircut but.... STEVE'S BACK!
The Inca Trail Day 1: The StartThe Inca Trail Day 1: The Start
The Inca Trail Day 1: The Start

Here we are at the outset. At this point I thought the Duke Of Edinburgh scheme had put me in pretty good stead for what lay ahead. I WAS A FOOL.
The Inca Trail Day 1: LunchThe Inca Trail Day 1: Lunch
The Inca Trail Day 1: Lunch

So far so good. Whenever we arrived in a lunch or camp spot the "dining tent" was already set up, and it wasn't long before they served you an amazing 3 course meal. That bit wasn't so tough I suppose.
The Inca Trail Day 1: Evening FootballThe Inca Trail Day 1: Evening Football
The Inca Trail Day 1: Evening Football

Look at the speed, the dynamism! Credit goes to the photographer, I made it one step before needing a 2 minute breather.
The Inca Trail Day 2: Pre-Dead Woman's PassThe Inca Trail Day 2: Pre-Dead Woman's Pass
The Inca Trail Day 2: Pre-Dead Woman's Pass

We are resting here, having completed what we at the time thought was a pretty tough section. Retrospect informs me that this was not the case.
The Inca Trail Day 2: At The Summit Of Dead Woman's PassThe Inca Trail Day 2: At The Summit Of Dead Woman's Pass
The Inca Trail Day 2: At The Summit Of Dead Woman's Pass

Delirious to have made it, delirious with pride and achievement, delirious from asphyxiation of the brain.
The Inca Trail Day 2: When Skunks AttackThe Inca Trail Day 2: When Skunks Attack
The Inca Trail Day 2: When Skunks Attack

Our guide saw this skunk on a hill on day 2. While all the rest of our group moaned that they didn't care, Hanna, the guide and I went scrambling off trying to get a better look. Hanna offered to go and pick it up for a photo until we reminded her that skunks are THOSE animals with the stink spray defense mechanism.
The Inca Trail Day 3: Tim Burton LandThe Inca Trail Day 3: Tim Burton Land
The Inca Trail Day 3: Tim Burton Land

The jungle was so lush at this point that plants and mosses were growing on all the other plants and mosses.
The Inca Trail Day 3: Andean ConquerorsThe Inca Trail Day 3: Andean Conquerors
The Inca Trail Day 3: Andean Conquerors

By now we'd walked to this point from beyond the mountains behind us. From beyond the mountain beyond the mountain behind us in fact. The landscape was geniunely epic.
The Inca Trail Day 3: Resting In The CloudsThe Inca Trail Day 3: Resting In The Clouds
The Inca Trail Day 3: Resting In The Clouds

From here we could see our final campsite below - the end was in sight. We rested on this ledge for a while, above clouds on the other side of the valley.
Machu PichuMachu Pichu
Machu Pichu

And this is what it's all about... it really was an amazing place. We didn't realize when we first arrived that we had walked through it - the whole thing was invisible in the morning mist. Thankfully it cleared up an hour or so later.
Machu Pichu BirdiesMachu Pichu Birdies
Machu Pichu Birdies

These two chicks were nested between the walls of Machu Pichu. Just after the photo was taken their mother returned, and regurgitated some insects for them. It was still cute though.
Jump Shots On Tour! #7Jump Shots On Tour! #7
Jump Shots On Tour! #7

The mysterious beast of Machu Pichu strikes. Those poor tourists never stood a chance.
The Recovery PositionThe Recovery Position
The Recovery Position

This is the restaurant where a lot of recuperation therapy took place. Avocado & crab club sandwiches, fresh rainbow trout and guinea pig fillets, very intensive cutting edge stuff.


12th November 2008

dave the exercise looks like its done you the world of good... i actually thought that was another more rugged and swarthy bloke from your group with his arm round hanna on the photo from dead womans pass! congrats on making it thru the inca trail, i reckon i better get in training now if i ever want to complete it!
14th November 2008

The Inca Trail sounds very much like the "walk in the park" that we experienced in Thailand... Trading standards maybe interested in this one too. Great to see Steve again, look like he's really submerged himself into everything that South America has to offer. Plus I didn't realise that they had spray tan salons in the mountains of Peru, that couldn't possibly be a real suntan Dave. C

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb