SACRED VALLEY, PERU


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
November 12th 2013
Published: November 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

OLLANTAYTAMBO AND MORE - DAY 5

“The world is like a book. Those that do not travel read only one page.” - St. Augustine

We spent the morning exploring the massive structure of Ollantaytambo, an imposing and well preserved Incan site. Historians writing of the Incas will tell many stories of the significance of this site, but what impressed me most was the height of the structures and the amazing technical and engineering features known so long ago. They built terraces for crops along the steep mountain side and, because temperatures changed as elevations increased, planted crops according to their individual characteristics. They also developed techniques and facilities for storage of crops for use when the growing season was over. These people were smart! Not so I as I walked up the high, uneven stone steps leading to the Temple of the Sun. Tauck provided walking sticks for us, a useful aid on our transit. About half way up, I passed a couple deciding whether they should continue or turn back. I told them that this was not a stamina test, but an I.Q. test. If they turned around, they were smart, if they hadn’t started they were brilliant, and if they continued like I they were stupid, stubborn or both. I made it to the top, I think I’m both.

We went back to the hotel for a cooking demonstration by the hotel chef - ceviche and lomo saltado, followed by a lunch buffet. By the way, you probably already know that Peru is famous for potatoes. Peruvians were growing potatoes as long ago as 8th century BC. Today there are more than 5,000 varieties of potatoes in the world, about 4,300 of them are grown in the Andes of Peru. After lunch, a Shaman consecrated our journey with an Incan ritual honoring Mother Earth. Later in the afternoon, we visited the pottery studio of Pedro Seminario, a world famous artist and we were able to interact with him about his art. A return to the hotel allowed us to rest before we were treated to a performance by a folk art group of “The Apus of the Andes”, based on Incan lore. Another full day of great and diverse activities.

Tomorrow we’ll be taking the Vista Dome Valley Train to Aguas Calientes, gateway to Machu Picchu and our overnight hotel, the Inkaterra Machu Picchu. ILYS


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

OLLANTAYTAMBOOLLANTAYTAMBO
OLLANTAYTAMBO

AT THE TOP


Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0955s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb