Marching Day


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
July 26th 2005
Published: July 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The long expected marching day had come... the principle had had the students practising their marching for nearly a week now. Everyone gathered in the school early in the morning. I stood in front of the pupils with the rest of the teachers, which suddenly became rather awkward when they began to sing their national anthem and I didn't know the words! The principle then gave a long speech, of a very nationalist nature from what I could understand.

The plaza of Ollantaytambo was completely packed with people, students, teachers, local government, locals, tourists. There were speeches, poems and various recitals of the anthem all morning. The marching began at about 12 noon. I hadn't realised just how many schools there were in this area (knowing of just mine and one other)... but around about 10 schools were represented... mostly from surrounding villages I think.

The teachers march was pretty painless. We only had to make the length of the Plaza, only a couple of minutes thankfully. I can't help but think the locals must have been surprised to see a Gringo marching in their Independence day celebrations!

That evening I had a close encounter walking back to
'Pre-march Briefing''Pre-march Briefing''Pre-march Briefing'

Me and a couple of other teachers stood infront of the students.
the house by dark. The dogs of Olly are generally passive during the day, but at night they get very aggressive... so it was a bit of a shock to have two large vicious dogs charge at me with their teeth bearing, snarling and barking... I really don't fancy having to be treated for rabies. After shouting something that sounded vaguely like a kiai (for any aikidoka reading this) and backing off, they too retreated. Scary stuff though!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Traditional DressTraditional Dress
Traditional Dress

Students from a rural school.


1st August 2005

He's a big 'un
What do they call you there, Tom - poste de la haba? Is there anyone there that can match your height? Bet you feel pretty selfconscious standing next to that principal!
2nd August 2005

Indeed indeed
I'm not at all used to being one of the tallest around... You'd be considered a mythical giant out here Jev. Although supposedly the Incas were tall.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb