Home of The Inca's


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Ollantaytambo
August 23rd 2013
Published: August 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Another early morning flight flying back to Lima and then on to Cusco. The day before there was a terrorist attack at Lima airport and security is high and lots of planes backed up.

We fly over the grand mountains of The Andes, some snowcapped and others barren. Cusco is completely surrounded by mountains and our descent into Cusco airport a real adventure. I’ve learnt from the locals that a quick sign of the cross at landing is a good help.

From Cusco we catch a taxi to Ollantaytambo where we are spending two nights. We travel over the mountains to Chinchero, reaching 3800 meters, than descending into Sacred Valley at Urumbamba which is situated on the river of the same name, which flows the length of this valley. Our altitude has now dropped to 2800 meters. Low for these parts. Ollantaytambo is another 10 kms further down the valley.

Machu Picchu is found at the end of the valley.

The valley is surrounded by steep, pink, rocky, mountains rising steeply out of valley. Terraced farmland near the bottom and the flat rich chocolate soils of the river valley.

Ollantaytambo is a quaint, cobblestoned streeted village with lovely alleyways to explore. Two huge Inca ruins loom above the village both old forts to protect this end of the valley. The stone work of the Inca’s was simply amazing. Every stone matching the next to build the walls without cement.

Keith and I climb up both. The girls climb the main ruins. It doesn’t look that daunting but oxygen is at a premium at this altitude and at every few steps a stop is necessary to recharge the lungs.

We spend two relaxing nights at Ollantaytambo and then head back to Cusco where our journey to Machu Picchu will begin.

On the drive back we travel further up the valley to Pisac and then across the mountains back to Cusco.

Cusco is a beautiful city. All the buildings are brown and most constructed in mud brick. It has been well preserved to keep its original look. Churches everywhere obviously from the Spanish influence. Surrounded by mountains where many Inca sites overlook the city.

‘’


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb