Dude looks like a Lady!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Ollantaytambo
October 10th 2005
Published: October 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Dont be afraid children, its only Rich in a dress! I know he looks like the bastard child of Les Dawson and Pat Butcher, but a bet is a bet, and thats Ecuador and Peru´s national dress in the bag, so to speak! Good work Rich!

Anyway, in terms of what other adventures we´ve been on lately, well we´re back at school here in Cusco. In between dodging ´happy hours´and various free beverages smelling like meths, we are learning more spanglish, and quite enjoying it. We are also getting to see more than our fair share of ruins.

Yesterdays adventure was to a place called Ollantaytambo. Now, these places are BIG! This one is special for two reasons:

1. Its the best example of inca town planning.
2. Its one of the few places where the Incas actaully got a victory.

The two buses, moto and combi van it took us to get there were clearly not in vain as we approached the ruins. There are 16 massive terraces leading up to the central part of the complex. Strategically, it defends the entrace (or exit) to the sacred valley which was crucial for food production and still
Manco´s terrracesManco´s terrracesManco´s terrraces

these are the enormous terraces on which Manco rode his Spanish horse encouraging his boys
bears the dubious honour of ´biggest maize producer in the world.´sweet man.

Well onto the exciting stuff. After the Baddest of the Incas, Manco, had unsuccessfully tried to siege Cusco (near miss though) he retreated to this place, Ollantaytambo. Over 70 horsemen and loadsa auxiliaries were in hot pursuit, but Manco being the ultimate guerilla gangster had got together soooo many jungle dwellers that apparantly they over flowed the sides of the whole valley. And talk of cinematic speeches, Manco had aquired one of the Spaniards beloved and feared war horses and rode up and down the terraces calling his men to arms! Rude Boy!

Now numbers alone had never scared the Spaniards much, so what trick did Manco pull out the bag?

well, theres a 14km canal built by earlier folk there, so he diverted it, flooded the whole valley and made it basically impassible! The Spanairds were forced to make one of their painfully rare retreats and left by cover of darkness. Hurrah!

However, it wasn´t even a days ride from Cusco, so it wasnt long before he had to retreat further into the valley to his ultimate retreat, but thats another story.

You´ll have to wait to hear more! I have to go learn some Spanish and check Rich isn´t wearing my pants....


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Rocks and stairsRocks and stairs
Rocks and stairs

if you look at this closely you can see the remains of stair cases all over it. Why so many?!
Les DawsonLes Dawson
Les Dawson

there aint nothing like a dame


11th October 2005

mary poppins in drag
les dawson look a like most definately, i can see the fresh air has definately changed the MAN you went with
15th October 2005

lovely legs
did a bit of a double take when i saw your somewhat shapely calf muscles in the beautiful photo of you both, then realised it was a photo head through kind of thing. very unnerving. nice frock though Rich.
19th October 2005

check out those legs!!! Thats all I can say. phuuh :)NICE

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb