Our trip to Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
July 25th 2011
Published: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We decided we didn't like walking that much so we tried to pick a trail that involves as little of that as possible to Machu Piccu. You have to walk at some stage unless you get the train but we chose the Inca Jungle Trail which was 4 days, 3 nights.
We got picked up about 7.30am and drove for ages. To a place called Malaga, but dont think it was that one. This Malaga was so high in the mountains that there was snow and it was cold and in the middle of nowhere. But the local people seemed to be setting up for a wee party when we got off the bus, there was a stage and speakers and beer but I dunno where they came from cause it really was the back arse of nowhere.

The first day we were cycling, it was easy all downhill, you just had to be careful of traffic. The views were stunning. The mountains seemed to go on forever. We stopped after a while as we were all getting a bit hot, we were dressed for snow but we were getting closer to the jungle. It was a bit of a crazy climate change. We were able to put all our stuff on the bus that was following us and cycle into the Inca Jungle.
I got really keen and started going really fast and didn't notice that I had lost Eoghan. When I did I thought I could see him in the distance so i slowed down to let him catch up but thats hard when everyone is going downhill! He had got a fly in his eye so had stopped, I was such a bitch for cycling on!
The road got a bit dodgy but it was fine. Then I ended up getting a puncture and had to get on the bus so Eoghan finished the cycle, luckily I didnt miss much, i got a puncture near the end.
We had a packed lunch provided then got on the bus to our hostel in Santa Maria. It was fine, pretty basic, cold showers and we shared a room with an american couple, Mathew and Ellie who were lovely. (Turns out americans completely get sarcasm these days). Matt and Ellie were signed up for rafting the next morning so me and eoghan decided to do that too, as we missed out a hour or two of walking.
On the second day we were up nice and early for rafting. We got on the bus and we met 3 girls from Ballybofey on the bus (small world) and there was another boy from Roscommon on the other bus called Patrick. We met loads of friends rafting, and Catolina, a girl in our group had a waterproof camera so we should get some photos of it. It was fairly easy going, only like grade 3 but it was a good laugh. Especially poor Paddy who said he couldn't swim and was terrified and Joe the English guy who had to go in his boxers as he was not prepared at all. We have loads of sandfly bites from rafting. We had insect repellent but the guide laughed and said it didn't work. No malaria though, we have been reliably informed.
We joined our group for the hiking then into the middle of the jungle, although it was a well worn path. It was really tough at the start, but when we stopped a rested there was a monkey (although it wasn't really a wild one) He managed to wrestle Paddy's bottle of water off him somehow. The walk got a bit easier after that, but there was some cliff edges which was a bit ropey. But lunch was good, and everywhere you stop for lunch has hammocks which is class. We managed to catch some of the Peru v Venezuela match, Peru won to get 3rd place in Copa America.
The walk after lunch was mostly along the river so wasn't too hard. Then we had to get a very dodgey trolley across the river, just above some impressive rapids. A wee man pulled us along, it got eoghan really nervous for ziplining tomorrow!
It was all worth it to relax in the hot springs at the end at Santa Teresa!
There was a disco at Santa Teresa , really cheesy but lots of fun! Jamie, one of the english guys in our group had everyone doing Saturday Night dance in the whole bar. And we had a round of the Macerina! Even our guides came out and dance with us! One of them was a crazy dancer! I was a bit tipsy when we eventually left and the next day I couldn't find my camera! I took it to the disco and had loads of good photos. I searched the hostel and the disco that morning but I dunno if it was lost or stolen (someone else in our group had his wallet lost or stolen) But i was so annoyed that we lost so many great photos. But I'm sure it could have been a lot worse.
We went ziplining on the third morning! It was scary, so high up! But loads of fun. Eoghan was terrified but I think he is glad he done it now... look up Cola de Mono on You tube if you want to see what we did! An american Ted, who said in the disco "theres no way Im doing it" got on our bus to do the zipline so that comforted Eoghan a bit. The views were amazing, but it was the adrenaline rush from doing it that was worth it! I should get some photos from friends when they all get back home from their travels eventually!

We met our group for lunch and then started walking to Aguas Calientes. The walk was fine, all flat and a lot in the shade so it was easy enough. There was a guy in the other group who had fallen after getting scared when he heard a bird call from the trees. He managed to fall in the only mud patch for miles.

The hostel was great in Aguas Calientes, we had a private room and bathroom with a hot shower. We decided to go to bed at a fairly reasonable time as we were up at 4.30am to get to Machu Picchu.
We decided to be clever and get the bus up to the ruins, its a hard walk and the bus was just the easier option!
The ruins were amazing, I know they are so famous and touristy but they really were breathtaking. We managed to be there for the sunrise over the mountains. Our guide took us round and told us about the different parts of the ruins, although we think he was off face on coca leaves. He was munching away on them! We didnt have tickets to Huyana PIcchu so we decided to walk the even higher Maccu Picchu mountain, which was free. It was a hard walk, and we didnt bring nearly enough water but the views were incredible from the top. You could see the Salkantay glacier on the other side and we had the post card view of Machu Picchu with Huyana Picchu in hte background. I do not know how we did it with our lack of sleep but we got up there. And we met a man from Manchester at the top and got him to take photos of us and he promised to send them to us when he could. We bought a disposible camera for Macchu picchu so should have some photos but we don't know how they will turn out.
We had dinner with some of our friends before we got on the train and agreed for some reason to meet Paddy and the argentinines when we got back to Cusco as it was Paddy's last night. I don't know how we did it but were out til 2.30am after all that but we slept a lot the next day
It was the most amazing weekend of my life and we met so many people and had a great group and I hope I see them again! Hoping to go to see Lake Titicaca before we leave Cusco properly. Im sorry I have no photos of this trip but hopefully I will be able to put some up when my friends get theirs up!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb