Searching for Paddington on 'Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
June 27th 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Machu PicchuMachu PicchuMachu Picchu

looking it's best. The mountain behind it is the one we climbed. I'm proud of us!
(written by Holly)

So, about a month has passed. about time for an update, methinks.

After Arequipa we made our way north, passing through all the main tourist attractions including the much vaunted Machu Picchu.

Jane and I were only really going there because whenever we told anyone in the UK we were going to South America they instantly piped up 'are you going to Macchu Picchu? Are you doing the Inca trail?' before we'd even mentioned peru.

So we went to Macchu Picchu to see what all the fuss was about, but opted out of the Inca Trail because you had to book months in advance and we didnt want any kind of set date to get in our way in terms of planning. Also, as neither of us actually wanted to see the damn thing it didnt seem worth trekking uphill for 4 days to get to on the altiplano, where there's no air.

Instead we took the train from Aguas Calientes at 5.30am to be at the gates at 6 when the ruins opened, just as the sun was dawning. And it was beautiful. Having low expectations made the spectacle even more breathtaking;
The Warden's HutThe Warden's HutThe Warden's Hut

overlooking Machu Picchu
we'd seen a million-and-one pictures of the ruins before even reaching the cusco region, but the surround pinnacles of mountains and the river flowing beneath and the waterfall beyond? they were unexpected bonuses that made the experience for us. On top of this the ruins were really well preserved and it's a large complex; more than enough to keep you busy for the day.

After taking the obligatory dawn photos, Jane, Sholmi and I followed a path away from the complex towards an inca bridge. While the bridge itself wasnt that mind-blowing, the walk there was really nice and the mirador at the end was a really nice place to contemplate the world, just the three of us. The mirador would be an attraction in its own right were it not for the wonders nearby.

After having a nap on the lawns (with a whole load of other 5.30am-ers; I heard a 10am tourist exclaim 'and these must be the sleeping terraces!') we decided to see whether it was still possible to climb Huayna Picchu, the steep mountain behind the site. They only let 400 people ascend it a day, and we'd left it late, but we'd been
Proving we made it by dawnProving we made it by dawnProving we made it by dawn

Holly, Jane and Shlomi smile for the camera
told it was worth the stroll so we thought we'd give it a shot.

I was elated to be person 397 to climb it that day... so nearly missed out but got there in the nick of time!
The climb was really steep and difficult... there were ropes to help you up occasionally and rock steps that hadnt been tampered with since the incas i guess. They were really uneven and about the width of half your foot. no wonder so many people chose to go down on their bums!

Adie and Ken had been right to recommend Huayna Picchu - the views were amazing and we literally felt on top of the world as the three of us sat on the rock that brings the mountain to its sharp point. Strangely, from that angle, Macchu Picchu,the great Inca masterpiece, looks like a little girl with pigtails who has a pole stuck up her butt. Mystical, no?

Anyway, that's Macchu Picchu over and done with, and luckily it's also one of the highlights of our trip so far. So well done the Incas! you've surpassed even the tourist hype!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

ContemplatingContemplating
Contemplating

by the Inca bridge
The Inca bridgeThe Inca bridge
The Inca bridge

and the views that go with it. Oh, and Jane too :-)
cloud in the mountainscloud in the mountains
cloud in the mountains

around Machu Picchu
Shlomi's on top of the world!Shlomi's on top of the world!
Shlomi's on top of the world!

..Well, on top of Huayna Picchu, anyway


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb