Machu Picchu - Citadel of the Incas


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
July 16th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Neil:

Ola!

Machu Picchu - the seventh New Wonder of the World and something both Nicky and I have been looking forward too since the off!! It has a lot to live up to; our expectations are high and we're lucky enough to compare them with some of its fellow wonders - Taj Mahal, Great Wall, Terracota Warriors and Christ the Redeemer.

We landed in Lima and shortly after took a 22 hour bus ride to Cusco from where we took another bus, then a train and then another bus before reaching MP - 27 hours travel time in total from Cusco. Broken up by overnight stays in Cusco and Ollaytaytambo - thankfully.

Arriving first thing in the morning gave us a chance to pick a good spot from where the best view of the ruins can be seen. Low cloud hung over the Inca settlement for the first hour we were there and for the bus journey up the mountain - which meant we had no real idea of the setting and of how high we were. As the sun burnt through and the clouds began to lift and we were gradually presented with the ruins and a spooky mist hanging in the valeys either side. Only when the mist and cloud lifted completely did it hit you - sheer drops either side of the citadel and huge rock faces shooting up from the earth shrouded in thick jungle. It really is an amazing place. All of the effort and cost of getting here became insignificant.

Around 2500 people visit MP per day and as the morning passed by it became really busy - too busy. I found myself wondering what Machu Picchu was going to be like in 20 or 30 years time - all those visitors walking on the ruins without a care - it must have a huge effect on errosion and the deteriation of the site. MP is a huge money spinner for the Peruvians and it seems that long term damage is being done without a care for the future.

Nicola:

We had decided a long time ago that we wanted to reach MP at first light, it is supposed to be the best time for pics and before the hoards of tour buses arrive. So we set out at 5am from Ollantaytambo where we are staying in the sacred valley and boarded the two hour train to MP. It is a beautiful ride through the valley and it was lovely to watch teh sun rise over the farms and little villages. From the train station you have to take a little mini bus about four miles up a steep adn winding road to get to the entrance to MP. It wasnt quite 8am yet when we got there. But I am really glad we made the effort to arrive before most other people. There was a thick cloud hanging over the site when we arrived but we walked around the edge and positioned ourselves near the caretakerĀ“s hut, from where you can get the stereotypical view of the whole site. We sat and waited and gradually the sun started to shine through and the cloud began to lift - in stages at first so that only parts of the massive town were revealed. But eventually after maybe an hour and half (during which time we were joined by some friendly alpacas!!) the sun burned through the cloud and mist and we could see the full site. it was fantastic and really did feel like we were finding an ancient and lost world. It is fastinating to think that very little is known about the site even now, but that for 200 years it was completely forgotten. As neil said it was one of the things we were most looking forward to on the trip adn it was definately worth the effort.

Note to other travellers: It really is not as simple as it sounds to get to MP. You have to buy lots of tickets in advance and from different offices scattered throughout Cusco and Aquas Calientes. If you can give yourself a couple of days to sort these bits out it is probably best. And be prepared to pay over the odds for the train between Cusco/Ollantaytambo and MP - PeruRail have a monopoly on the route and they charge what they like!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0898s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb