The Lost City... Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
March 19th 2008
Published: March 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 19th March
Everyone's ready in time, and we're at the checkpoint before it opens at 530am. We're not the only ones, and the pace is quite slow (that's good for me as I don't lose everyone else). By 630am we're at Intipunku (the Sun Gate), where we get our first view of Machu Picchu - pretty impressive - especially as it's clear and we can see it all. After a few photos we head down the slope, arriving above Machu Picchu about 720am. Clouds are rolling in, but this just makes it atmospheric - and they roll in/out, so we get some good views. We take the group shot, then head down to the entrance to meet Rod and Claire, before heading back in for a tour with Wil. Few more steps to climb leaves us protesting, but is some more good stuff to see/learn.

A couple of hours later, Wil is done and we have another couple of hours. Staurt and Kel decide to climb Wayna Picchu - and join the queue (max 400 allowed per day). I wanted to, but am not fit enough, so sit and chat for a bit then wander off by myself to take some pictures and then find the Inca Bridge which is supposed to be amazing. Have to climb back up to where we took our group photo, and a bit more. Get some more photos, then walk on. End up chatting to a father/daughter from Los Angeles. Bridge I guess is a great feat of engineering, but didn't really seem worth the walk/missing lunch. Actually did make it back down into the town in time to eat some lunch. Rod had bought us all 'I survived the Inca Trail' t-shirts. A nice touch. We almost had to run for the train, allocated seats. For first time in ages managed to sleep on public transport, but woken by Claire who wanted to take pics from window. Back to Ollantytambo where we left the train and got back onto the minibus. Back to the hotel, new rooms (ours is a bit dingy - sharing with Linda this time) - blissful shower and out for a late dinner. Restaurant gave us free crisps/Pisco Sours whilst we were waiting, but about 930 before we ate. Lots of talk about going out to celebrate but everyone just needed sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd March 2008

These plants... grow everywhere!
Including in my garden!!!! These are bromelias - Rottweilers love to eat them, so I discovered, after spending a small fortune on decorating a small rockery I have. My mum calls it ´chiara´food!!! (Chiara being the name of my Rottweiler)

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb