2 Day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
January 19th 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post


mp019mp019mp019

Where are we again?
When planning the Inca trail, we wanted to do the 4 day trek. However, we knew that January was the start of the rainy season and we didn't like the thought of 4 days in the rain. So we opted for the 2 day hike. We also didn't book in advance because it is the low season. There are a lot of operators all on the same block in Cusco, so when we hit town we shopped around. Our departure date was less than a week away and we were still able to secure 5 spots on the trail. I think the trail limit is 500 per day? We paid $175/person. No porters, just a guide, lunch, dinner, hostal pickup, train, transfers and overnight hostal in Aguas Calientes.

Started out with a 6:30 AM pickup from Amaru II hostal in Cusco. We were supposed to have a private combi to the train station in the beautiful small town of Ollantaytambo, also an important inca ruin site. However, there were 5 others in the van too. Took the train to Kilometer 102, for the start of the 2 day trail. We were the only ones to get off the train. In
mp001mp001mp001

Catching the train in Ollantaytambo
fact, they just slowed down and we had to jump off!

Met our wonderful guide, Pilar, and proceeded over the river to the check point. Then started our 6 hour hike, up up up. Our first rest was to be at Wiñay Wayna, a big ruin about 1.5 hours from the sun gate at Machu Picchu. Along the way, saw lots of orchids, including the orchid they call Wiñay Wayna, or forever young. Bob, the botanista, had me snapping lots of photos of plants. Some ericaceous shrub that looked like an azalea was in bloom in addition to a host of orchids.

The hike was absolutely stunning. The path was nice, though my vertigo kicks in whenever the path had a drop off to death, which it did for a good part of the way. I like to have some vegetation on both sides to give me the feeling I could grab onto something if I stumbled over the edge. The views were spectacular. We were so lucky to have good weather because I could imagine how horrible the hike would have been in a rain poncho.

Reached Wiñay Wayna and had some lunch. It is amazing
mp002mp002mp002

Trail head for the 2 day inca trail.
that the only people who can see this spectacular ruin are those who hike the Inca trail. You could get to it from Machu Picchu, but you would need a trail pass.

Reached the Sun Gate around 4:30 PM, and boy what a sight. I think to have earned the view after such a long hike made it that much more magical. The sun was shining and we were rejuvenated. Hiked down the hill to Machu Picchu, looked around a bit and hopped the $6 bus down the hill to Aguas Calientes.

Hostal was ok, nothing special. The town itself is a major tourist mecca due to Machu Picchu being one of the premier tourist destinations in all South America. Because it was low season, it felt a bit deserted. Good for us since all the restaurants are willing to bargain steeply. If the restaurant is almost empty, you can cut the prices in half!

Had a good night sleep and joined the throng jostling to get on the first buses up the hill next morning. You can walk to Machu Picchu if you wish. There is a very nice trail that goes straight up. It would
mp003mp003mp003

Orchid Wiñay Wayna (forever young.)
probably take about 1.5 to 2 hours in total. I think it is worth it to pay the $6 bus up and walk back.

Up top, there were clouds swirling and rain threatening. However, perhaps it is in this condition that Machu Picchu is most magical. Views fade into and out of sight. You stand in utter awe of the location. Your spirit cannot help but soar, looking out across the many peaks, the raging river thousands of feet below.

Had a new guide for the tour, Miguel. Great guy, but his accent was so bad it required enormous effort to keep up with what he was telling us. After the tour, we decided that we had seen the place in the sun the day before, and the rain today, and headed for the exit and the hike down this sacred mountain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

mp004mp004
mp004

Pat with our wonderful guide, Pilar. Pilar has two children and lives in Cusco. She guides this portion of the trail about twice per week.
mp005mp005
mp005

mostavallia orchid (spelling?)
mp006mp006
mp006

In some places, the steps are actually carved out of the bedrock.
mp006amp006a
mp006a

Another orchid, probably a Sobralia, found regularly on the trail
mp007mp007
mp007

Getting close to Wiñay Wayna
mp007amp007a
mp007a

Climbing up the steps of Wiñay Wayna. Whew, that was hard work.
mp008mp008
mp008

Taking a break on top Wiñay Wayna. You can see on the right the trail whereby we came to this place.
mp009mp009
mp009

Leaving Wiñay Wayna behind.
mp010mp010
mp010

Another orchid found
mp011mp011
mp011

The gangs all here! Can you see how exhausted and hungry we are?
mp012mp012
mp012

The jungle experience on the trail.
mp013mp013
mp013

The sun gate at last! Pamelita has forgotten all about those sore legs -- or maybe not!
mp014mp014
mp014

Bob and Pat heading down from the sun gate.
mp015mp015
mp015

The mystery and depth of this place takes hold of you.
mp016mp016
mp016

This eagle came in out of nowhere. I thought it was going to attack us for invading such a sacred space. But Miguel had a hunk of cheese for it. I guess they are old friends.
mp017mp017
mp017

An orchid at Machu Picchu, probably an Odontoglossum
mp018mp018
mp018

What a place
mp022mp022
mp022

The classic shot
mp023mp023
mp023

The tree
mp020mp020
mp020

This bromeliad was so big it must have broke the branch it was perched on.
mp021mp021
mp021

The mighty Urubamba and the tourist town of Aguas Calientes. I hear there are hot springs here, but I also hear they are rather tepid.


23rd January 2007

Great photos and great trek
Hi all, Congratulations for your photos. the inca trail is really a unforgettable experience to do at least 1 time in his life. I done it too, few months ago, with www.inca-trail.com.pe and I need to confess it was great... coming in the morning to the Sun Gate is really incredible.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb