White Water Rafting on The Apurimac River, Peru!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » La Convención
May 30th 2011
Published: January 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Following our trek to Machu Picchu for four days, exploring Cuzco and The Sacred Valley, we decided to go White Water rafting on the challenging Apurimac River which is about five hourse outside Cusco.

After checking around we decided to go with Swiss Raft from Cuzco. I think it was a Tuesday morning when we were due to leave for our three Day adventure. Sarah and I gathered our stuff together at the Wild Rover hostel, putting everything into storage there except for what we would need for the rafting tour. We got to the meeting point at about 7am that morning and grabbed a coffee. As it turned out, we were going to be in the same group as a Dutch couple that I had met while playing soccer months earlier in Sucre, Bolivia. I remembered having a duel on the right wing versus the Dutch lad, Arthur. His girl, Kim was also a good laugh. They let us know that the rest of our group of 20 were all Israelis. This was not unusual as we had met loads of Israelis on our trip. All of them were travelling post military service, and they travelled in groups which unfortunately meant that they didn't mingle too much with others. Every now and then we'd meet Israeli couples or a few lads on their own and they were always brilliant fun but, as can be the case with any nationality, the groups could be a pain.

We all gathered and took off at about 8am when onme of the last guys arrived. It was quite funny because he was still hammered from the night before and he continued to do a few shots of whiskey on the bus ride until he passed out. No worries though....the c, c, coooold waters of the Apurimac River would soon wake him up, and the rest of us too....

The Apurimac River is the source of the world´s largest River system, the Amazon. It rises from glacial melt water of the ridge of the Peruvian mountain 'Mismi', in Arequipa at 5597 meters. The Apurimac river flows northwest past Cusco through parts of the Colca Canyon which we visited and is said to be twice as deep as the Grand Canyon in USA.

Our three days were a wild ride of high class rapids, oce cold dips in the water, and rock jumping! At night we'd camp, set up fire and have fun with thte rest of the group.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb