Touring Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
November 29th 2012
Published: November 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We spent the first couple of weeks together in Cusco after Ron finally got his act together and flew in on 11/11/12. Demi had found a lovley little hotel overlooking the entire San Blas district of Cusco. It was a little bit of a hike to get up there but well worth the effort. Our first week was spent touring around the city and nearby Incan ruins of Saccaywaman (sexy woman for short), Tambomachay, Puca pucara and Quenca--all spelling is from memeory. In the evenings we took spanish lessons and enjoyed the local music and food scene. Even found time to catch a football game at a local Irish sports bar.

Demi had already had a round of sickness and I had my time shortly after necessitating a wonderfull 5 day course of Cipro (thank you Sis). We had made our way to the Sacred Valley in Ollantaytambo by the time I really started to feel yucky and stayed there for 3 days doing short hikes and enjoying the local ruins before taking the train up to Aguas Calientes and catching the bus up to Maccu Piccu. We hiked up to the summit of Machu Piccu mountain and were rewarded with amazing views of the ruins and surrounding peaks and valleys rising above the Rio Urubamba. We had the perfect day with mist rolling through in the morning hours followed by sunshine in the afternoon as we were roaming through the ruins. Wow, what a spectacular scene! Those Inca certainly knew how to work with stone and in a place that is so remote and difficult to access as well as being jaw-droppingly stunning in it´s natural beauty.

Back to Ollantay on the train, a good meal and to bed for much needed rest. Next day back to Cusco for some R&R for R&D. Then it was off to Puno on the night bus for a look at the azul jewel that is Largo Titicaca. And what a jewel it is! We did a local ruin tour and then took off the next day for Isla Taquile out in the middle of the northern part of the lake. (Google it for a full history--well worth it)

We settled in with a local couple for a homestay of 3 days/2 nts and walked just about every path on the small island of 2000 indigenous inhabitants. The scenery looks like something out of the Greek Isles with terraced plots lined with rock walls and a few sheep per family (saw a few cows as well), but no other animals other than local birds were seen. We were told that there were some chickens but never saw them.

The locals are known for there wonderful handmade textiles and traditional clothing continues to be worn by everyone on the island. All the land is worked by hand with all ages participating. The seven distinct communities all work together to accomplish civic projects. The people were so sweet and genuine. It truly is the most tranquile place I have ever been. We hiked to a georgous crescent shaped beach at the end of the island two days in a row and had it all to ourselves most of the time except for a small flock of sheep that came down from the hills to eat the freshwater algae. Wow! What a place.

Now we are back in Puno and killing time before catching the night bus to Ariquipa for our next big city hang time. Pictures to follow if they´ll load from this icafe.

Cheers,

Ron & Demi

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb