Cusco, Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
May 13th 2009
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

And so another night bus later, arriving in Cusco around 5am. It was great seeing the Plaza with only us on it, as during the day it is really busy.

In the afternoon, me, Chris and Sarah caught a cab up to Sacsayhuaman, which is a ruined ceremonial centre. We hired a guide and spent a couple of hours looking at stone walls! (lovely). No, really it is quite impressive, and the view of Cusco is amazing, although I didnt quite get the layout. Apparently the original city is shaped like a Puma. (yer right!)

The evening was taken up with more alcohol and we ended up in a club, I should be getting good at Salsa by now but...... no.

The next day we visited Qoricancha, Temple of the Sun, which has been excavated and apparently shows the best inca stonework in Cuzco.

On the Thursday we got up bright and early and did a tour of the Sacred Valley. Pisaq first and looked around an Inca Site and native market. Then onto Urubamba Village where we had lunch. In the afternoon we went to Ollantaytambo and had another wander around an Inca site. Im probably making this sound a bit dull but it was in fact quite interesting, the guide was informative, and me and Sarah decided he had a nice arse so worth looking at!! Finally we went to Chincero where we were shown by the locals how they dye wool, which doesnt involve going to Woolworths to buy cold water dyes. The village church was cool though, it is an old Inca Temple which has been extended and you can see the differences in styles etc. That evening we decided to cook for once Pasta and Tomato, and then went out to celebrate St Georges Day (well it would be rude not to). I think we were about the only people celebrating though.

That night was the last night we could have a big session as two days later we started the Inca Trail. Day 1, arose at 4.30am (Err) to drive to the start of where we were to walk. It wasnt too bad walking, we did about 12 km and when we got to camp the Porters were there clapping and cheering our arrival and handing us juices. The views were spectacular so you dont realise how far it is.

Day 2 was a killer. 14km but about 12 hours walking, up hill to 4200m walking over Dead Womans Pass. I honestly thought I wouldnt make it, Chris twisted her ankle so was even slower than me. Sarah kept up with the front guide and arrived at the lunch stop 2 hours before me!!! The afternoon was more uphill and then down hill for about 2 hours, making it to the camp after dark in the rain and ready to drop.

Day 3 we had a lay in until 6.30am woo hoo, and was a whole lot easier. Me and Sarah spent the day walking together and were the first in to camp. Stopping along the way to see various Inca sites and looking at the views. We had the afternoon to ourselves which we duly used by having a few well earned beers.

The last day we were up at 3.30am ready for when the entrance opened and the hour walk upto Sun Gate. Unfortunately it was really cloudy when we got there, but we did have about 1 minute where the skies cleared and we could see Macchu Picchu and then the clouds covered it again. We walked down to the site and by then the skies were blue and we had a fantastic view of Macchu Pichu and the surrounding valley. We spent the morning walking round with our guide while he told us lots of information about the incas etc. I will say though that I was probably too tired to take most of it in.

We caught the bus to Aguas Calientes, had lunch and then about half of our group went and sat in the hot springs for most of the afternoon, and what a nice relaxing afternoon it was too!

The 7pm train and bus was caught back to Cusco and it was decided that we should go out clubbing. So having been up since 3.30am in the morning off we went getting home at 4.30am after dancing to lots of crap amercian dance music.

The next morning we were up and about as we had to fly to Lima (and didnt have tickets) as we were off to see Oasis.

N.B. Anyone reading this who is thinking of doing the Inca Trail, I definately recommend the Company we used. www.llamapath.com. They are a bit more expensive than some of the others but look after their porters, giving them the correct equipment, shoes etc. The guides and porters were incredibly friendly always smiling and the food was absolutely fantastic.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb