Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
February 24th 2009
Published: February 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys,

Cusco which is a very pretty and ancient city. This region of Peru was home to the ancient Inca civilization. There are lots of Inca buildings still around including one that has a twelve side stone in it.

After exploring the city, we then made our way to the lost Inca city of Machu Picchu. It was only dicovered in 1911 by an explorer who was actually looking for another lost city. Before this no one, apart from the Indigenous local tribes, new about Machu Picchu. It had been lost for hundreds of years.

To get to the nearest town we had to catch a six hour bus to Santa Maria, catch a two hours minibus through a place called Santa Theresa and on to a hydro electrical plant in the mountains. From there we walked for three hours to Aguas Calientes, which is the closest town to Machu Picchu.

The next Morning we got up very early and walk up to Machu Picchu. It took about an hour and it rained the whole way up. When we got there it was very misty and we couldnĀ“t see anything. The mist then cleared and the ancient city revealed itself to us. I spent the whole day walking around the site investigating the ruins. There were lots of Llamas and big rodents that looked like a cross between a rabbit and a squirrel.

No one knows what the city was used for or why it was abandonded. Some say it was a royal retreat that was abandoned when the Spanish came to South America.

We are now leaving Peru and on our way to Bolivia.

Foxy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb