From Puno to Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
March 16th 2008
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another night in our Puno hotel, all was quiet except for our security whistlers outside.

We felt so pathetic about not taking anything to the kids that we decided to go back to the tour operator and see whether they could somehow get some books and stuff to the kids for us. Easier said than done. Observing siesta time means that they were shut from 1 until 3:30, which is when we were due to get a bus to Cusco. We bought some stuff and only realised this after going there the third time to be met with a bolted door. The shop across the way was open so after explaining our situation and writing a swift note to the tour operator, we left the stuff in good faith that the computer shop people would pass it on for us, which hopefully in some way or another will reach the kids.

We had booked on a nice, new, tourist bus, only to be told at 3.30 that there were problems with it, so we had to downgrade to another bus. We were pissed off because we had chosen really good seats on the first bus, and ended up at
Cusco ChurchCusco ChurchCusco Church

John took these photos before 8 this morning. Churches were packed today and will be for this week being the start of "Santa Semana" - Holy Week. Today was the start with Palm Sunday parades
the very back of crap bus. Not only that but my seat wouldn't stay reclined so I'd just put it back to relax, close my eyes and find myself a matter of seconds later back in the uprioght position. John was also less than delighted when the two blokes in the very back seats directly behind us cranked up an MP3 player, with Dire Straits "Walk of Life" on repeat.

Once again it was a bus trip where we were more than happy to get off at the end, even though it was only 7 hours this time. (this being our 18th bus ride this trip!)

Cusco city itself soon made up for the journey. The area where the bus station is is pretty crap, but then the taxi turned into the main square which is huge, and as elegant as any European plaza. Big old grand colonial churches and bulidings abound and make for an amazing skyline. We got some advice from the American couple we met on the island trip who gave us a great hostel which has turned out to be the best this trip, if not ever. Really clean, beautiful rooms, quiet, HOT WATER, small touches that make all the difference and make it feel like a hotel or even a home rather than a hostel. (Piccola Locanda is the name if anyone is interested....)

The only bad thing about the city is that it´s so touristy which means people approaching you every few minutes on the streets trying to sell everything from paintings to dolls, wooly hats to jewelery, restaurants and discos and the occasional muttering under the breath "coca, weed".

We walked around the town yesterday in search of a trek. We didn´t book one of the Inca Trail treks so weren´t able to get on one of those as they have to be booked months in advance. The one we managed to find is an alternative trek which means it goes a different route but still ends up in Macchu Picchu. It is also a hell of a lot cheaper and we get to see more stuff like hot springs on the way, and stay in hospedajes rather than camp which means having to carry less stuff, and not needing porters. We bike for the first part of it tomorrow, mostly downhill, and have a mini bus which comes with us in case of any problems. We then trek for the other 3 days, days 2 and 3 being the hardest, day 4 the easiest when we actually see Macchu Picchu and get to arrive a few hours before the masses of busloads and even the Inca Trail people. There will be 8 people in our group plus a guide. Very excited! Spent the day today buying essentials like snacks as well as hiring some wet weather gear.

So I´m off to have the last of my comforts in our great hostel before we set off at 7.30 tomorrow morning!

Happy Paddy´s day to you and hasta luego!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb