Jungle Trek Day 2 Santa Maria to Santa Theresa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
June 13th 2008
Published: June 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Cable Car 36 secs
The alarm went off at 5.30 for a pre sunrise start. Toady was to be a solid days walking from Santa Maria to Santa Theresa. The journey would take us along part of the historical Inca Trail and then follow the river up to the hot springs near where we would be staying.

We left Santa Maria and dropped down to the river where we wondered past the derelict and deserted buildings. These were the remnants of the original Santa Maria which was destroyed along with several other villages about 9 years ago when a flash flood was created by a burst dam. Before heading up a steep path into the hills our guide stopped in front of a strange podded plant. He proceeded to open the pod and crush the seeds which created a very bright red paint (yes kids its face painting time). We didn´t seem to get choose our face art but it was decided Leanne was mother earth and Matt was to be a puma.

Winding up the very steep hill we passed many cocoa plantations in the process of being harvested along with coffee, avocados and bananas. The little community we stopped at for refreshments was home to a few lively animals including Martin the little monkey, his friend the anteater and birds. Some of the group kicked back in the hammocks but Leanne was straight to the animals and the guide was quick to show her a little baby bird with a broken wing. Little did she know that there was a horrible twist in store as she listened to its little chirps. The equally cute anteater seeing his opportunity, launched at the bird taking it in its teeth. There was then quite a commotion where the guide and owner of the house tried to free the little bird as it squawked and squealed. Even a beating with a plastic bottle wouldn´t separate this little man from his tasty lunch. By the time they managed to separate them you can guess the result. Leanne was horrified and we found her around the corner playing with Martin who was a little less aggressive and was happy to slurp on a bottle of milk that the owner had given to him.

We continued on our way, Leanne a little traumatized, downhill to our next stop, a little village where we were to have lunch.

With bellies full we continued along the river and passed a washed out railway track. Everyone was all smiles until we reached a swing bridge spanning the river. With the typical South American safety standards the bridge had some rather dodgey and rotten planks with more than a few missing. Matt went first and giving it a little swing tried to get some photos of Leanne which was a recipe for some colourful language. The rest of the walk up the river was nice and fairly flatish and we hoped the carrot of the hot springs wouldn´t disappoint (you can get some disgusting thermal springs). One last obstacle was in our way, a small matter of a gushing river below and a rope pull cable car to get across it. This was a strictly 2 person mobile. So Matt eager to be the first over, piled on front and beckoned Leanne as he was only too keen to see how things worked. So with Matt in front and Leanne squealing in the back, we wizzed along the cable and as we came to a stop some what passed the middle. Dangling, Matt pulled us the final few legs (very funny). The hot springs were far from a disappointment. With a back drop of Peruvian mountains, the hot springs were formed from rock slab paving with a natural rock pebbly bottom. We kicked back and relaxed until our bodies had shriveled at which time Leanne decided she would slip off for a shower and get changed. Matt felt like he had only just said goodbye when there was a running splash next to him. Lets just say, you have to work out your evacuation from the pools as sand flies and mosquitos are beyond hungry in these parts.

We left the pools and headed a short trip up the road to the new Santa Theresa (the old one was also washed out), where we were to spend our second night.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb