Would you like some "Quechua" on that?


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
March 10th 2007
Published: August 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well protectedWell protectedWell protected

The constant presence of heavily armed security forces, anywhere, anytime, is a real theme in Quito. Apparently, they have 7 types of cops! Even KFC had a dude with a sawnoff standing in the entrance! Fast food cop?

Ecuador



The extra night in Santiago, en route to Quito from Brazil was a good opportunity for me to grab my much loved prescription sunglasses, which I had accidently left on tour in Chile just after New Years. So, sunglasses back in possession, I no longer had to squint like a badger and was feeling quite proud of myself. My joy was to be shortlived however, as I eventually lost them proper 2 weeks later in a southern Ecuadorian town...

Quito

One of the first things we learnt about Quito is that it sits in a narrow vallow, surrounded by live volcanoes. In all, Ecuador boasts over 100 active volcanoes, so Heath and I promptly sought means by which we could climb one, aggreeing that in a country of 100 volcanoes you were bound to find yourself accidently up the odd volcano from time to time - so why fight it?

So we set off early from our hostel to Niño Pichincha, one of the volcanoes overlooking Quito. Our "ride" was a beat up Ford F100. With a party of seven, Heath and I drew the short straw and crammed into the back with another american kid. An hour and several bad smell mysteries later we hit a village at the base of the mountain. At this junture, our giude ran into the park office, and emerged shortly after with a flattened-out cardboard box. He pointed to this item and said "seat" and then pointed to the roof-rack on top of the truck. Not wanting to miss the opportunity to fall from a fast moving vehicle off the side of a volcano, Heath and I jumped at the chance to get out into the wind (see vid). Several hundred meters into the ascent, sore asses (surprisingly, the cardboard box didn't offer much in the way of comfort) and some decent wind chill threataned to make us regret our choice of seating.

Tena - hiking rainforest canyoning, river rapids, village hostel
Baños - Agua Termales (Las Piscinas de la Virgen), Mountainbiking, La cascada de Río Verde, o el Pailón del Diablo
Cuenca -




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Coolest Dan everCoolest Dan ever
Coolest Dan ever

Wishing he owned this hot little Datsun
Afternoon beersAfternoon beers
Afternoon beers

The bar at the top of the hostel had a pretty good veiw over the old town.
Above the cloudsAbove the clouds
Above the clouds

The view from the edge of Pichincha's crater...
I´m the king of the worldI´m the king of the world
I´m the king of the world

Canyoning. Good fun.
This looks fun... el Pailón del Diablo...This looks fun... el Pailón del Diablo...
This looks fun... el Pailón del Diablo...

...or "Devil's falls" - I think they gave it a scary name cos it's bloody scary. The closest I've been to death was even considering jumping into this sucker.
Nice viewNice view
Nice view

The mountain bike ride in Baños provided some amazing scenery... we still got pissed on though.
Your emergency exits are here and here and here...Your emergency exits are here and here and here...
Your emergency exits are here and here and here...

During a four-hour road block (a protest by workers in a small town that we were passing through), this feller rolled up in a naked lorry. Straight out of the factory that is...


28th March 2007

sounds like a real pendeho....
sounds like all is well ... you seem to have acquired some more growth on your melon ! where is the famous travelors beard ? should we take this to mean you are still trying to pretend to be civilised ? come on wontok..... get your beard on it the done thing in south america ! all the best mate hope you are safe and well !
28th March 2007

speaking of bearded melons...
Yeah, my scon is a little outta control at the minute... and as for being civilised, the shaving is more about not looking so much like Grug!!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb