Homesick


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Manta
April 6th 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As we get closer to Central America, poverty becomes more apparent. Our last two ports were Callao, Peru (near Lima) and Manta, Ecuador. For some reason both of these ports left me depressed and homesick. I'm not sure if it was the absence of TP in the ladies restrooms in Peru or the poor crafted souvenirs foreigners were given the opportunity to purchase, but I've been a little testy lately. I would like to properly thank Trent for responding to my text messages when I was most desperate for home communication. - Thank you, Brat!

I was not able to make the tour to Machu Picchu due to the cost being a small fortune ($2800) but was able to see Inca ruins at Pachacamac in Lima, Peru. Due to the fact it hardly ever rains in Lima, much of these clay structures are still standing even after thousands of years. On our way to the ruins, we drove through the expensive resort town and art district of Miraflores. I have to say the abundance of flowers were absolutely breathtaking and even though it seldom rains, they have created an impressive high-tech irrigation system using ocean water that keeps the scenery green year round. However I was shocked that a condo in this part of the world will run you about 400K USD - I don't think the recession has affected them.

After visiting the ruins we were taken to what appeared to be a small residential area where young entrepreneurial boys maintained motor taxi's businesses. I swear there must have been hundreds of them swerving in and out of traffic. Heading to our next destination, after nearly taking out a post in the road, the huge tour bus entered a narrow alley where to our amazement, two massive wooden gates opened to a beautiful hacienda. We were invited in for a deluxe Peruvian lunch, once again inclusive of an abundance of pisco sour and wine. This hacienda is a working ranch where they raise and train world renown Peruvian show horses. The trainers and their incredible horses showed us why they have won many awards for their elegant grace and beauty.

Next port was Manta, Ecuador. Ecuador is home to the Panama hat and the largest producer of canned tuna worldwide. I took a tour into the country to a grass shack where the hats are manufactured. The first step is to soak the palms in boiling water, then they are dried before being split and woven into the hats. The woman was weaving a top-of-the-line hat that will take her approximately 4 months to complete. After 4 months, this back-breaking job will grant her approximately $90 of income for one hat. No worries Trent, I will not be applying for this job unless you start returning my text when I'm in need!

Finally we are back out at sea and I am in the comfort of my cozy cabin after celebrating the crossing of the equator. The celebration included cruise staff and brave passengers that volunteered to kiss huge stinky fish, be doused with yesterday's food and then thrown into the pool. It was quite a festive celebration and the pool will be closed for cleaning most of the day.

Tonight is French night in the dining room with escargot on the menu so a few of us have plans to meet up early and dine in style before attending a show with Master Hypnotist, Steve Baynor where no doubt he will entertain us with his amazing skill.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb