Another gem


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Vilcabamba
September 21st 2009
Published: October 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are staying in Hostal Izchayluma just outside the small town of Vilcabamba (pop only around 5000). The hostal has its dining area overlooking the valley and the town. It is an amazing sight and one we will not forget, there are nice garden areas around the hostal and we have a lovely lodge with the biggest bed we have had yet in South America. The food at the hostal has been delicious and massive portions, along with the view has made for a lovely relaxing stay here.
Our first day I went for one of the self guided walks that the hostal provides, it was a brilliant walk. It followed a dirt path through a small community and then it led on to a fabulous ridge walk. On the ridge I was able to see three different valleys carving their way through the Andes. The ridge was quite narrow in parts so I just tried not to look down. The walk finished with a walk through the dry riverbed back towards town under the Mandango mountain. Deb had booked a massage in the hostal that day.
We ventured in to the town a couple of days and the town has such a slow pace, people sitting or wandering around as if there is nothing that needs to be done in a hurry. The town is actually renowned for the longevity of its inhabitants and its easy to see why. Another day we did a walk together around the outskirts of the town and also took in a mini festival of sorts that was going on in town. There was horse races with the boys on the horses starting on the edge of town and racing to the centre, and kids whacking piƱatas.
It was a hard place to leave, the dinners have been outstanding and you never get sick of the view, especially as the shadows creep across the mountains. We can see how people get stuck here, but we know we must move on, Ecuador has more than exceeded our expectations. We have stayed at some unforgettable places and really feel like we have been more on a holiday than backpacking. The food we have eaten has been great and things have been relatively easy to do here. The people have been accomodating and friendly and made our stay all the more enjoyable. Peru is now calling!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb