English Instruction and Discotecas


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Loja
October 14th 2006
Published: October 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

San GerardoSan GerardoSan Gerardo

Taken from one of the highest points in the school, over-looking the entirety of the school.
Hello everyone,

Today I hope to attach some pictures of San Gerardo school, where Ellie and I are working. The school, which has a sister contact in Germany, was designed by a German architect and constructed by German engineers. It is bright, well-lit, and craftily put together. Recently, the principal, Violeta, adopted three puppies for the school. They now live in a bathroom-sized dog house in the recreation area of the school, inside a gated area. Names: Romeo, Julieta, and Tigre (quite an ugly little devil), respectively. Violeta has also adopted a puppy for her very own, Lupita, a long-legged, scruffy, incredibly vocal beast that cries in the morning (on Saturdays, at 7 am) when left alone. Violeta lives in the apartment directly above us, with her new pet. Really, the dog is actually quite sweet.

So, tomorrow, Oct. 15, is the day of Presidential elections in Ecuador. We, as you all may well know, are situated in quite close proximity to a discoteca-Santo Remedio. So, we decided that we should perhaps, being 20 years old and in a foreign country, venture out to our first discoteca and perhaps order a drink. It has only taken us two months
San GerardoSan GerardoSan Gerardo

The teachers lounge (la clase de los profesores). Ellie and I get to sit in there!
to build the courage. So, Ellie and I went and purchased eyeliner, eyeshadow, lip stuffs, and did our hair fancy (just so you know, we looked quite spiffy). Danced around our apartment in preparation, and waited for Josh to return from work so that we could go.

Well, sir, Joshua returns home and has a seat in a chair. ''Girls-hey, you guys look really nice. I have some bad news: the reason you can't hear the discoteca right now is because the elections are in 72 hours.'' As it turns out, the sale of liquor, and thus the ability to attend such events as those hosted by our dear Santo Remedio, are completely stopped within 72 hours of the elections. It is mandatory to vote in Ecuador. And, shockingly, the don't want drunk people voting. We are thinking of it as a 'political precaution', however severe. Hey, at least everyone votes.

So. We were some very fancied-up gringos without any place to go. We decided to go out anyway, had pizza, where they served us beer, actually (we think it was because we were obviously not Ecuadorian), and then walked home. FYI-police stood guard outside, lollygagging on the
San GerardoSan GerardoSan Gerardo

A different perspective of the school.
sidewalks everywhere downtown, ready to enforce, with force, I assume, their temporary prohibition.

I have included some photos of us all 'fancied-up'. I hope that everyone is doing well and enjoys the pictures.

Un abrazzo,
Caitlin


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

San GerardoSan Gerardo
San Gerardo

I would like to introduce you to, Domenica. She is a 9 year old in one of my classes. Her class is called the Pumas. I also have the Tigers and Panthers. She was very excited to have her picture taken.
San GerardoSan Gerardo
San Gerardo

Lunch time in the cafeteria! Here we have Nico, on the left, and Pedro, with the red hair. They are Tigers.
San GerardoSan Gerardo
San Gerardo

Here is Michelle. She is in Domenica's Puma class (B). Michelle is a very quiet, solemn little girl and I have been trying to be her friend. I think she's warming to me...she has even started smiling at me.
San GerardoSan Gerardo
San Gerardo

The principal's office. She is so tiny, it just seems ridiculous to me. Probably not even five feet tall. She has been very kind to us.
San GerardoSan Gerardo
San Gerardo

This is a cool bug that I found on the windowsill of the teachers lounge.
San GerardoSan Gerardo
San Gerardo

The view from the second floor of the school, to the hills across the street, from the outdoor balcony.
Santo RemedioSanto Remedio
Santo Remedio

Here is Ellie, perched on her bed, after just having finished getting ready for our outting.
Santo RemedioSanto Remedio
Santo Remedio

She is very, very lovely.
Santo RemedioSanto Remedio
Santo Remedio

The most wonderful picture ever taken of Ellie and Josh. They are beautiful.
Santo RemedioSanto Remedio
Santo Remedio

Fun picture Josh took.
Santo RemedioSanto Remedio
Santo Remedio

Ellie doin' her hair. And, yes, in case you're wondering, all of these pictures were in fact taken in the bathroom-the only place in the apartment we can get enough light to actually take pictures. Con tatuaje!
Santo RemedioSanto Remedio
Santo Remedio

Josh making a serious face as Ellie tries to climb on his back in our tiny bathroom.
Life in LojaLife in Loja
Life in Loja

View of clock tower from apartment windows at night. Seeing as the computer is being incredibly quick right now with loading pictures, I'm just going to keep on adding them!
Life in LojaLife in Loja
Life in Loja

Snapshot of green valley just outside of Loja returning from Vilcabamba (and the scary farm).
Life in LojaLife in Loja
Life in Loja

Fun door. I have heard that families in Loja used to design their own gates and doors, which accounts for all of their intricacy and variety.
Life in LojaLife in Loja
Life in Loja

Two indigenous women sit together in a plaza just outside of the main cathedral. Here, the word 'maca', which means indigenismo, is an insult among Lojanos, much different that what we encountered in Peru.


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb