this is where it starts for real!!!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Loja
January 20th 2008
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The equator was a fun diversion, although the monument and line where everyone has their photo taken is 240m out. there would have been greta views of volcano cotapaxi if it hadn't been for the mist, it was very warm alll the same. Later in the day we went up to parque itchimbia, only a couple of blocks from the hotel but about 500mtrs of steps, decided on account of the effects of altitude on my motivation, to take a taxi to the top. there were fantastic 360 degree views of the city so we sat on the grass and took it all in. We watched how the security guards dealt with three pesky skateboarders ie they beat them up and chased them out of the park, a bit harsh we thought. We walked back down the 500mtrs of steps to the hotel, turning our legs into jelly and collapsed onto the terrace for a nice cuppa. We really live the rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Its surprising how many backpackers are going it alone. thety range from older europeans who look like they don't have any friends anyway, to young americans who have decided to head off with very little planning. good luck to them. On the other hand there are two french girls who ahve just arrived and after 24 hours it appears one of them is going home because south america is nothing like europe so she's off. No idea what her mate is going to do. Went to a restaurant in a district of quito called gualpulo. the views over the city were fab in the dark and we had the coldest lager imaginable, lovely tapas and some hippy music thrown in all for about 6 quid (there is no pound sign on this keyboard). Yestrday we went to a local market in one of the city parks, lots of ethnic bracelets etc and lots of local art, then we went to the botanical gardens where we watched a hummingbird, our first real taste of animal life outside our normal experience. The rest of the gardens were full of things we get in the uk, but in much bigger ways ie the bizzy lizzy's were huge plants, nothing like the tiddlers in the uk and the habiscus plants over here are trees!

Advertisement



20th January 2008

Hi again
We tried adding a message on saturday but it doesnt appear to have worked so this is a test message to try again!!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb