Stop 22: Cuenca


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
November 23rd 2010
Published: November 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our first town in ecuador was Huaquillas as after yet another South American truth our bus turned out not to be direct. (They'll say anything to make a sale). We did eventually get to Cuenca (our first planned stop), but  not without an adventure. 

The border crossing into Ecuador was sketchy to say the least. We were badgered by all and sundry, selling new visas(!?) and exchanging money at the Peruvian exit. We then didn't get to officially enter Ecuador until we'd changed buses and left the border town, so yes, for a whole hour we were illegal imagrants!

As for the onward journey... It turns out that ecuadorian buses are the illegitimate child of our beloved National Express and a 90's dance club. Basic and with UV lighting that would make any self respecting boy-racer jealous... fun times!

Cuenca itself is an impressive blend of colonial architecture and modern amenities. It reminded us fondly of Spain. There is little to do specifically in the city. However, we spent a few days here wandering through the centre and soaking up the culture. Not to mention taking advantage of all the little cafes and bakeries! It has to be said though, that Steve's mum still makes the best brownies! 


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

UsUs
Us

In one of Cuenca´s many cafes
La Puente RotaLa Puente Rota
La Puente Rota

The Broken Bridge


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb