On the Inca Trail


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
November 3rd 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Andean FoxAndean FoxAndean Fox

Cotopaxi national Park
On Friday we departed Quito with our guide Carlos and driver Ivan for a five-day tour of the Ecuadorian highlands. The Cotopaxi National Park is home to the highest active volcano at 5897m. Unfortunately, due to low clouds, we only caught a glimpse of the snow-capped peak. Although we didn't see a puma we did see an equally shy Andean fox, a couple of grazing llamas and several small birds on the small lake Limpiopungo.

We spent a pleasant evening at the Hacienda Hato Verde, a working dairy farm with 150 cows which offers B&B with ten or so rooms.

Driving south through the Avenue of the Volcanoes en route to Banos the clouds lifted enough to offer a full view of Tunguragua, a volcanoe that errupted as recently as two years ago. The road to Banos passed over the old path and offered great views of the volcanic debris. After lunch in Banos we followed the Avenue of the Waterfalls. Hiking to the Rio Verde waterfall, we admired several varieties of orchids hanging in the moist forest.

November 2nd is All Souls Day and we made a point of visiting a cemetary containing the graves of mostly
Hacienda Hato VerdeHacienda Hato VerdeHacienda Hato Verde

A working dairy farm and B&B
indigenous people. Today the families attend the graves taking flowers and food. After weeding and touching up the paint work they socialize and picnic around the grave sometimes leaving a little food for the deceased. The whole thing takes on a party atmosphere although some were obviously still mourning the recent additions to the cemetary.

After lunch in Ingapirca we took a very informative tour of the Inca temple. The Inca trail wound its way through the hills south to Peru but we were glad we didn't have to brave the cold wind and pouring rain as we drove to our hotel, Oro Verde, in Cuenca.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tunguragua volcanoTunguragua volcano
Tunguragua volcano

En route to Banos
OrchidsOrchids
Orchids

En route to Rio Verde waterfall
All Souls' dayAll Souls' day
All Souls' day

Having a picnic with family
Llama at IngapircaLlama at Ingapirca
Llama at Ingapirca

Ancient Inca ruins keep neat and tidy by llama


7th November 2008

Photo with a Llama
I see the picture of the Llama, but where is the picture of one or both of you riding the Llama?????

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb