More shopping!!! (what else?)


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
April 28th 2007
Published: April 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Had a quiet Saturday morning at home before heading into town to meet the others. We dragged them to the hat shop where we had coffee and brownies. Randomly enough there were huge pieces of paper and pencils out on the coffee tables so we were kept entertained by trying to come up with a poster and name for Jack's jazz group. Hung around in Cuenca before walking to Sophie's house (which took a good half an hour despite saying it would only be ten minutes) for her to get changed and joined the others for another walk, this time to the hotel Lyn was staying at. Lyn's husband and Charo were there as well for dinner and to discuss how our placements were going. Unfortunately some football team were also staying there so our food took ages to arrive as the waiters were running around after them all the time. Still, very good time had by all and we headed out to the Eucalyptus Cafe afterwards. Only confirmed our initial impression that it was seriously overpriced but still fun.


Got up reasonably early on the Sunday to catch a bus to the bus terminal. Amazingly enough everyone was on time (except Jack and Bel who weren't coming) so we could get on a bus to Chordeleg by ten. Chordeleg is a small town outside of Cuenca that's famous for its jewellery - especially filigree silver. Only an hour drive so we arrived in good time for a day of...shopping!!!! Matt was delighted of course! Chordeleg was really beautiful but very small. Basically just one main plaza filled with flowers surrounded by jewellery shops. Managed to buy loads of jewellery as well as getting a start on souvenir shopping and realising how ripped off we were in Otavalo. Never mind! Had lunch for all of $1.50 (loving almuerzos here!) Lou and I finished early to fit in a bit more shopping and then spent the next half hour ducking into shops trying to avoid being seen by the others so they couldn't drag us away.

Managed to get a bus home really quickly but it was packed so I had to stand for the whole hour back to Cuenca - at least it wasn't the Quito bus! Everyone came round to ours after to curl up on the sofa and watch a DVD.

Advertisement



1st May 2007

MORE shopping???
What?! Not MORE shopping Katherine! Surely you must have done enough by now! So I guess we can expect you to arrive home with a rucksack full to the brim with jewellery and souveniers and everything else left behind and forgotten. Oh well, never mind.... as long as you bring something back for me!
2nd May 2007

Love the hats again!
That sounded like a civilised Sunday. Shame I can't join you for the day but I'm sure you did some good shopping. I have booked you in for therapy when you return. University allowance will be a mere £5 per week!!! Love mum
3rd May 2007

Ermmmm . . ?
Katherine, dahling, I thought you were out there for character building, charity giving, physically and mentally strenuous work, not shopping, beaches, roast marshmallows, shopping, DVD watching and shopping? Of course, if you're bringing back lots for your less foot loose friends here, I could alter my perception of it . . . E x
14th May 2007

keeping up with the travellers!
Its lovely to read about your travels! The hat looks stunning, which is more than we can say for the one that lizzie is sporting! we hear you are off to the galapagos you lucky thing! give our best to Lonely George, the last of the Giants! your weather looks a great deal warmer than ours! Enjoy your travels, Love and hugs from the Bates!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb