Quito at last


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
October 14th 2006
Published: October 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

View from the Secret GardenView from the Secret GardenView from the Secret Garden

Our first view of Quito

Saturday 14th October



Arrgghh - 3 hours kip and we had to get up again (6am) to get the flight to Quito. We´re pretty knackered now and just want to get to Quito. We board the plane with the ever so friendly flight attendants informing us that there is still fog in Quito and poor visibility. Will we ever get there???

Finally, after 30 mammoth hours of travelling we descend from the fog into Quito. It´s not as scary flying in the daylight as it was last night, when everything looked incredibly close and like we could crash easily!

We stood at the baggage conveyor belt for ages praying it would get there safely, neither of us are very hopeful as the luggage only had about 20 mins to make it at Houston to the connecting flight.There´s a dog on the conveyor belt sniffing all the luggage for dodgy things - its not very well trained as it spends most of its time barking at a man with a strange hat on and then pissed on a piece of luggage. Now not only are we worrying about our luggage appearing but whether that damned dog will piss on it!! Phew here it comes, I make sure I´m close to the dog so I can give it a good kick if it looks like messing with my stuff!! Luckily for me it went back to barking at the hat man rather than doing its job!

We checked into the hostel - the Secret Garden. Its a very sweet place with a roof terrace. We sat here for awhile & had a couple of beers (we deserved them!) whilst looking with at the most fantastic views over Quito .... now it´s definitely time for a nap!

We stayed at the Hostel for dinner as Ecuador´s general election is taking place this weekend & all alcohol has been banned in public places for the whole weekend (imagine that)!
They´re obviously still serving it here though!

Sunday 15th


Lazy day.......well it is a Sunday. Out for a wander in Quito today, not much of one though as we´re suffering from the altitude. We´re at 9300 ft which is pretty damn high. You walk up a hill very slowly and have to stop every few metres to catch your breathe. Your heart beats wildly and you feel very light headed. We´re told this wears off in a few days once you acclimatise. Glad I gave up smoking, its fairly embarrassing not being able to walk up the flight of stairs in the hostal. I feel like an old lady (sorry nan!).

Quito is a beautiful city - the old town is full of picturesque buildings with colourful balconies. We wandered around taking in the essence of the town and sat in a cafe people watching. It´s pretty packed today due to the elections. Lots of people have come in from the countryside with their "local" dress on - which involves strange hats and woollen things........

We´re off to the Galapagos very early tomorrow. We´re both very excited about it - we have to be at the airport for 6am (eek). Can you believe it, we fly back to the airport that we were diverted to, to pick up more passengers. typical!

We´ve booked our Spanish lessons for when we return - 20 hours in total, spread across 5 days. Its just the 2 of us with one tutor so I guess it will be intense!

I´m not sure about emails in the Galapagos as I´ve got no idea if we´ll have access anywhere. We come back on the 23rd so will be in touch then.

Love Andrea x


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



16th October 2006

We're not jealous!!
So glad to hear that you can breathe up there - it must be quite a relief! At least at the Galapagos you will be at sea level. Keep up the good times. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
16th October 2006

Wowee - miss you already!
Hey ladies, great blog. You should be writers - very amusing anecdotes! Look forward to further updates! Hope you guys are well and have a great time in the Galapagos! xx
24th October 2006

Hope your having a great time in the Galapagos!
Hi you two, Hope that all is going well, love reading your travel blog :-)... looking forward to reading your diary on the Galapagos islands The T xxx
24th October 2006

Hope you are having a fab time in the Galapagos
Hi you two, Hope all is going well and you are having a great time at the Galapagos islands... Love reading your travel blog and looking forward to reading the next installment :-) The T xxxx
25th October 2006

Galapagos adventures
Hi Andrea, Fantastic blog, I'll lookforward to reading it at least once a week to keep the spirits up! Sounds a fantastic adventure already, keep up the good work :-)
27th October 2006

Galapagos was cool!
As the girls are probably too busy learning Spanish, I just wanted to let all the people at home know that we have had a great time at the Galapagos! I've been with them on the same boat, now unfortunately back in the miserable weather in the Netherlands. They have had their fair share of turtles, sea lions and wine alright.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb