Leaving Quito/Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
November 18th 2009
Published: January 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were packed and ready to leave Cumbuya by 7am, We said an emotional goodbye and many thanks to our Ecuador family, The Price family, Having for various reasons decided that our best way to cross the Peruvian border was to drive across it we have hired a car and driver to undertake the task, Our driver Patricio turned out to be a real superstar.

It was pouring rain when we hit the road which I took to be good karma as Ecuador had been suffering a drought the likes of which it had not seen in years, I fell asleep before we had left Quito having seen the sights before but it didn't last long as I woke with a start, my body being thrown all over the backseat of the car as we descended at breakneck speed down the mountains and towards San Domingo, my ears took a bashing as the loss of altitude happened fast and furious, Patricio though lovely was a lunatic behind the wheel of a moving vehicle.

We arrived in Huaguillas close to the Peruvian border at 5.30 after miles and miles of Banana plantations, Its powerful men who own such vast amounts of the number 1 selling fruit in the world.


The border patrol politely told us we would not be crossing the border tonight because fishermen on the Peruvian side were on strike and had taken it apon themselves to close the Pan-American effectively putting an abrupt stop to our (and all travelers) journey for the day, this is not unusual as in Latin America, mass gatherings and vocal protests are used often by those who feel their situations are unfair or exploited.

We doubled back to Huaguillas, booked a hotel, showered and had dinner.
John was understandably worried as his exit stamp was only valid for another 24 hours and there was no guarantee the strike would not continue for another day.

We took off early the next morning and hit the border once again, again we were turned back, this time because we had failed to realise that the immigration office for Ecuador is in Huaguillas and not at the border so all stamped up we returned to the border, the Peruvian border control and immigration officers were polite and helpful, after 45 minutes we entered Peru, We never did find out why the fishermen were on strike.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb