Help Sue and a ton of Ecuadorian Girls Too


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
June 15th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Since I put my note on my blog soliciting funds for my project, I thought that maybe I should do the same for one of my wife's projects. So, here is some info about a raffle that her group is sponsoring. Donate if you can - it is for an EXCELLENT cause.

Dear friends and family,
I am writing to ask for your support for two very important Peace Corps Volunteer priorities: providing scholarships to young Ecuadorian women AND combating sexual exploitation and human trafficking.
The Peace Corps Ecuador Gender and Development Committee teamed up with the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Task Force for a big raffle fundraiser to support these important causes.
With your purchase of raffle tickets, you will:
1) Help Ecuadorian girls finish high school (it’s not free here). Our Gender & Development Committee’s scholarship program is one of only a handful worldwide. The financial assistance that we provide for these young women is vitally needed: a mere 56% of Ecuadorian women receive their high school degree.
2) Help prevent human trafficking and sexual exploitation of women and children. Thousands of Ecuadorian women and children have fallen victim to human trafficking, which is considered a type of modern-day slavery. The Anti-Trafficking in Persons Task Force is working to prevent the spread of trafficking and to provide support and to provide shelter and services to former victims.
3) Have a chance to win fabulous prizes including roundtrip airfare within the U.S., Ecuadorian art, exciting outdoor adventure packages including surfing and whitewater rafting trips, as well as weekend getaway packages to exciting destinations across Ecuador.
Don’t delay! Buy your tickets today! Each ticket is only $1.50. The raffle will take place on July 8, 2008
Two easy options to support TWO great causes and have a chance to win LOTS of great prizes:
1) Credit Card: BUY ONLINE NOW through the secure Friends of Ecuador website: http://www.friendsofecuador.org/
2) Check: Please make checks payable to: Club Kiwanis Chuquiragua Please write GAD Rifa in the Memo of the check and mail to: Attn: GAD. Casilla 17-08-8624. Cuerpo de Paz/Ecuador. Quito, Ecuador.

2008 Raffle Prizes Include:
• Roundtrip airfare for one person between any two major cities in the continental U.S.*
• Roundtrip airfare for one person between the continental U.S. and Ecuador.
• Whitewater rafting package in beautiful El Chaco, including all equipment, guides and lodging
• A Tour of Cotopaxi National Park aboard the Chiva Express, a colorful one-coach train, where you can “ride the roof” along the panoramic “Avenue of the Volcanoes.”
• Ruta del Sol prize package including private surf lessons, accommodations at the Hostal Tsunami in Montanita plus a private panga ride tour of a mangrove reserve
• Exciting weekend getaway packages to Mompiche, Canoa, Sua and Quito
• A night for two at the Maquipucuna Lodge where you may get a glimpse of the elusive, endangered Spectacled Bears
• Puyo Prize Package which includes personal guided tour of Omaere Ethnobotanical Park and a weekend stay at the luxurious Hosteria Finca El Pigual
• Dozens of other exciting prizes including art, books, indigenous handicrafts, gift certificates for fine dining and much more!!!
Don’t delay! Buy your tickets today! Each ticket is only $1.50
The GAD-Anti TIPS raffle is made possible thanks to many generous businesses and individuals including: Adam’s Rib, Metropolitan Touring, WaterDog Tours, Hotel Chagra Ramos, Hosteria Gabeal, Hostal Pais Libre, Hotel Almare, Hostal Tsunami, Balsa House, Hosteria Finca El Pigual, Hosteria El Jardin, Reserva Maquipucuna, Dave Goucher, Sonia Aguirre, Parque Omaere, Mango’s Mongolian Barbeque, The Magic Bean, Best Western Plaza, Bom Café, Shooters Sports Pub, Hotel Sandmelis, Chandani Tandoori, The Mango Tree, Mister Bagel, Henry Morgan Pleasure Cruise, Libri Mundi. THANK YOU SPONSORS!!!
*connection through Milwaukee

ABOUT GAD
The Peace Corps Ecuador Gender and Development (GAD) Committee aims to enhance gender equality in all sectors of Ecuadorian society. In 2007, GAD provided over 70 scholarships to financially underprivileged, yet highly motivated Ecuadorian women so that they can finish their high school education. Working in partnership with Club Kiwanis Chuquiragua in Quito, GAD Ecuador's scholarship program is one of only a handful worldwide. The financial assistance that GAD provides for these young women is vitally needed, as a mere 56% of Ecuadorian women receive their high school degree. In addition to the scholarship program, GAD also sponsors popular youth camps and large national leadership conferences for Ecuadorian girls.

ABOUT THE ANTI-TIPS TASK FORCE
The Peace Corps Ecuador Anti-Trafficking in Persons (Anti-TIPs) Task Force aims to combat the increasing problem of trafficking and sexual exploitation of persons—particularly women and children. Through local outreach, education and national conferences, Anti-TIPs focuses on the prevention of the spread of commercial sexual exploitation. As a relatively new Peace Corps committee, Anti-TIPS seeks resources to support an important initiative to provide housing and services to Ecuadorian victims of human trafficking and sexual exploitation.

ABOUT THE GAD-ANTI-TIPS COLLABORATION
In an effort to avoid duplication of effort, maximize volunteer effort and conserve resources, GAD and Anti-TIPs are collaborating on a joint fundraising effort. Funds raised through the raffle will support the committees’ philanthropic goals of 1) providing scholarships to low income Ecuadorian girls so that they may finish high school; and 2) supporting Fundacion Quimera, one of the countries leading anti-trafficking organizations that is creating Ecuador’s first shelter for victims of human trafficking.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb