Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito » Historical Center
December 10th 2014
Published: December 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Quito - Day 17

This was our last morning in Banos. We really enjoyed our visit here. The first morning at the hostel we didn't realize that breakfast was included, so we made our own. The next two mornings we were treated to rolls, yogurt, fresh fruit, granola and coffee. The staff here was very friendly and accommodating. We expected to call a taxi this morning, but the hostel manager drove us to the bus station.

Today we headed back to Quito. We got to the bus station earlier than we expected, so got the 9:00am bus. The 3.5 hour ride was very reasonable ($3.50 per person), as is all transportation here. We had reservations far north in Quito, so we would be fairly near the Ofelia bus station. Tomorrow we go to Mindo, and this is the only station serving that area. We decided to take the trolly instead of a cab. About noon, when we arrived, the traffic was at a gridlock here. We figured we could get there more quickly, and of course more inexpensively (!) than with a cab (50 cents vs a $30 cab fare!) It was still a 40 minute ride, but would have been hours with the cab. The trolly was packed, and we were stuffed in like sardines, a little difficult with luggage. We accidently got off several stops early, but we just hopped back on the next trolly. From our trolly stop we had to find our reserved hostel. Bob had a map, but after getting a few bogus directions from people, we had gone around in a circle. We then asked a very nice young man. He put the address in his phone and gave us precise directions.

Our hostel, Hostal Isla Isabella, is a clean, secure little place. Our room has a large corner window which overlooks a garden. Best of all, the garden has many resident doves. Fun to watch.

Just a short walk here around the neighborhood and something light to eat. The rain took us back quickly. Soccer game was on in the restaurant. People seem obsessed with soccer here. Every restaurant seems to have a game on, and every park has kids kicking the ball around. Guess that's why they have good teams here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb