Fiesta de Inti Raymi (and other things)


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
June 23rd 2006
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Last week it was the festival of the summer solstice combined with the festival for San Juan = one big party all over Ecuador!

We decided to head back to Otavalo as our guide Luis from a few weeks ago invited us to his village to partake in some festivities.

We got there on Friday night and the party was in full swing. Lots of different families and villages all dressed up in random costumes and playing great traditional music. The highlight of the night - the circular dancing. It was magic! Apparently the dancing in a circle symbolises the shape of the sun and it was only men who were allowed to dance. In a month the women have their own festival for the moon. It really was mesemerising and we stood and watched for hours. I kind of did my own semi attempt at dancing mainly because I was freezing cold.

On Saturday we got up early (6:30) and headed to Otavalo animal market to have a look at how trading happens Ecuadorian style. I had an underlying intent of trying to buy a horse to ride to Peru but being as most of them had the equivalent of 3 legs I went home empty handed. Was good to see how it all worked and for your info the average pig here ranges from 40 - 50 US$.

After the animal market we took a bus and then taxi out to Luis´ village. This was perhaps the best decision of the weekend as we ended up following all of the dancing men from the village down a little dirt track to the town of Cuicocha. There was much stopping for non forwards circle dancing along the way and we kept back with the women from the village i.e. "in our place". Once we got to Cuicocha they continued dancing round the square so we sat on some steps to watch. Next thing we know the Riot Police rock up (complete with guns, huge shields and tear gas no less) and stand right in front of us - hmmmmm sat wondering what they were there for for a while?! And then it became clear - rival villages also obviously fuelled on circle dancing love rocked up to Cuicocha. 4 in total and they all proceeded to dance round the square in their village groups basically taunting each other. Hence the need for the police to stand in the way!! The villagers were all dressed in huge furry trousers which apparently offer protection from the equally strange whip type weapon they all seemed to have. I think in old times it must´ve been quite violent and apparently 2 guys died on Saturday in the fighting. It was really interesting to be able to watch it all and was quite jealous I couldn´t join in with the dancing :-( Went back to Otavalo for a power nap and another evening of festive circle dancing (just wait until I get back to the Colli - you Cov kids will see what Ecuadorian dancing is made of!).

On Sunday we went for a walk around Laguna Cuicocha with Luis. 7 km around the rim of the volcano crater which is apparently still active to some extent - only small bubbles of lava in the lake - can´t really imagine all that water exploding into the air! Not much to say really apart from it was so beautiful and peaceful and the view from the edge of the crater was stunning. We could see so many of Ecuador´s volcanoes - Antisana, Imbaburra, Cuyame, Cuicocha, Cotopaxi, Illiniza, Chimborazo and Pinchincha. It was really special - it is definitely difficult to find anywhere in England that quiet. Would be a very nice place to live and Luis reliably informs me that there is land for sale in his village - 200m2 for 3000 US$ - bargain and mightily tempting given that his friend also has a horse for sale!!

So for now I´m back in Quito for my last week of Spanish before I head of for 5 weeks of Galapagos action next Monday - bonus!

Take care chicks - please update me on good old Inglaterra.

Love k xXx




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



13th July 2006

hey
Hey Karen you still sound like your having an amazing time. Am loving honduras ave seen so many different things its great. Everyone is such a great laugh. Am off for 4 days into the jungle again not sure wot i'll be doing yet but probably working with the herp team catching lizards etc. then next week am tracking howler monkies. Neway got to go as am leaving in bout 10 mins for a 3hr trek :/. take care love rach
23rd July 2006

Hello chicky!!
Krazy kazza times as always! Great to see the piccies,am hoping to get my bum over to s america soonish hopefully it's just too damn cold here! Cold, rain, hail and even snow in july...it's just plain wrong! You stories are inspiring me to get it sorted though, keep 'em coming! love claire xxx

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb