Mitad del Mundo take 2 and Otavalo


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, this morning we went once again to Mitad del Mundo although this time with the tour group. Our tour leader took us to the ´real´equator as the french than built the monument we visited yesterday mis calculated and built it 200m out! stupid french! Anyway, the actual equator was run by locals and we did these different tests to show the forces of the poles. One was to drain water through a plug, north, south and then on the equator where it went straight down. Then we had to close our eyes and put our arms out and walk along the equator line - the forces try and pull you either way and you loose your balance, almost like there is something pulling you over. It was a very strange sensation. Another test was to balance an egg on a nail as the yolk is pulled down, i couldnt do it but a few others managed. the final thing we did was amazing. we were partnered up with a bloke in the northern hemispherre and they had to first place their thumb and 1st finger together and we had to try and pull it apart - which i couldn´t, and then to clasp their hands together and push up as we pulled down, which i couldn´t either. Then the men stood on the equator line and did exactly the same and i was able to pull down his arms and open his fingers, because of the forces. it was a very surreal feeling but it made me feel strong and the big ausi lad look weak...hahahahahaaaa.

We made a mammoth lunch at the equator from the bits and pieces in the truck (which is massive and yellow and called Moose) there was definatly no expence spared and we will definaly not starve throughtout the trip. After that it was a 2 and a half hour drive to Otavalo where we currently are. We just dossed around for a bit and then went to dinner at a Pizza place. The owner was a nutter, he whipped out home made ´moon shine´which smelt fowl and he along with most got bladdered. Following dinner it was streight to a karoke bar which was very amusing. Everyone got fairly drunk, i say fairly, alot, but i stuck to water as i didnt feel brilliant. The Ausi guys are hilarious and kept making people slap them if they say ´no´and i mean slap hard! The owner of the pizza place also joined us and was a real character, he was dancing and generally having a laugh with us dispite not speaking the language.

I also had an Ecuadorian man trying to teach me the salsa...i can either wiggle my hips or do the moves, but not combine the two!! i was rubbish, but i tried!I will definatly try again with some other poor unsuspecting latino, but until then i will remain rubbish!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb