The Middle of the World


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mitad del Mundo
August 22nd 2007
Published: August 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we went to the middle of the world - both of them. If you haven´t guessed yet, I mean the equator.
Apparently, there is the official middle of the world, a tourist trap called Mitad del Mundo, with a giant monument and everything. And then, there is the supposed real middle of the world (according to GPS). There is a nice museum there with all kinds of effects, like the Coriolis effect, where water spins clockwise in the south hemisphere, and counterclockwise in the north hemisphere. I also got to blow a dart using a blowpipe, and I was the only one to hit the target.
Then we went to a nice little volcanic crater, near Puluhalua, which was very beautiful. And the best thing is that we did it all by bus, and didn´t even get robbed.

The plans for the next few days are
Thursday - we´re taking an organized trip to Mt. Cotopaxi, and coming back to Quito.
Friday - we´re going early in the morning to Otavalo, where we´ll stay in Hostal La Luna one night.
Saturday - go to the Otavalo market, and come back to Quito in the afternoon.
Sunday, Monday - travel in and around Quito.
Tuesday- fly to Galapagos, and take a cruise. Come back to Quito on 4.9


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



23rd August 2007

"and didn´t even get robbed." :))
20th January 2008

Wow..amazing opportunity!
Hey! I am just doing a brief study on Ecuador- and while I was searching for a good description on the museum of the Middle of the World, I came across this site- There must be alot of culture involved in Ecuador! I've just finished a year in New Zealand and the UK, but wow. I really want to travel to ecuador now! What'd it be like to be in 2 places at once! Amazing!

Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb