Chasing Waterfalls


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mindo
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post


Me JumpingMe JumpingMe Jumping

Not very clear as taken from video footage :0(
Mindo
Me and Miriam as we had our friends car for the weekend decided to take a trip to Mindo a small town about an two hours or so outside of Quito. There you can do various things like tube rafting, cable sliding and swim at the different waterfalls on the river Nambillo.
First we had some lunch after the drive steak apanada (breaded) for around three dollars and a huge plate at that!

So after lunch we (I) decided to take a walk to the River to see whats up. Along the way we saw various groups ready with protective helmet and life saver to take on the tame rapids of the Rio Nambillo. Moving on we continued to climb the hill to find the waterfalls which as the sign indicated were around two miles way. This is where Miriam began to no longer enjoy my company as trekking up a hill in mid day heat is not the most fun, ha ha!

We arrived at the cable slide area and checked it out, and it did look pretty fun but the 15 dollar cost would be over in about twenty seconds and I didn't think it was worth it, plus we didn't have the money. We did though manage to have something similar in the open cable car across the valley to get to the waterfalls. Taking in the views while speeding hundreds of feet above the forest canopy was great fun but this also was not an enjoyable experience for Miriam.................ha ha! We continued walking on to find the waterfalls and river.

Nambillo Waterfall
Arriving at the site I was greeted by a beautiful river and waterfall deciding to investigate I climbed the dodgiest ladder in the world. The ladder seemed to have been damp for the last 50 years and had the opportunity to possibly end my career.

Anyway at the top there was a nice little ledge to jump from and after viewing it with a well trained eye I decided to do it, whats the worst that can happen? death I suppose but these things are not contemplated by a Jersey man, why you ask? because Jersey is the "Spartan" training place of rock jumping, from the moment we can swim were throwing ourselves of Greve De Lecq and piers at every opportunity.

Once down and changed I was informed
Nambillo WaterfallNambillo WaterfallNambillo Waterfall

You can see the dodgy rotting ladder I climbed on the right.
that you have to pay to jump because a family owns that area, but there is another path on the upper left where you can jump from (there always is). Sound, upon investigation there appeared to be a dedicated jumping area slightly below the opposite paying side but upon further investigation I deduced there was a higher point, which might be possible to a less, than ordinary man.
Like a true Jersey born man I looked down upon the thrashing white water far below me with contempt and then leapt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Cable SlideCable Slide
Cable Slide

Afraid It was closed
Wire TransportWire Transport
Wire Transport

Great fun and afforded some spectacular views!
Tree TopsTree Tops
Tree Tops

yes I did make the school boy error of sticking my finger in the picture!
Travel By WireTravel By Wire
Travel By Wire

You can just make out the wires.
Quite The Distance!Quite The Distance!
Quite The Distance!

If you dont like heights like Miriam then you wont enjoy this.
Rio NambilloRio Nambillo
Rio Nambillo

The river Nambillo cascades down the western Andes beginning at the Pichincha volcano.
View looking downView looking down
View looking down

I jumped from a higher point on the opposite side!
Wire TransportWire Transport
Wire Transport

Great fun and afforded some spectacular views!
The OperatorThe Operator
The Operator

Th man in control!
Me JumpingMe Jumping
Me Jumping

Not very clear as taken from video footage :0(
On The Way HomeOn The Way Home
On The Way Home

Some amazing views.
On The Way HomeOn The Way Home
On The Way Home

Some amazing views.
On The Way HomeOn The Way Home
On The Way Home

Some amazing views.


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 113; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb