The Galapagos...


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
July 13th 2006
Published: July 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Nemo IINemo IINemo II

Our transport for the week...
What an absolutely incredible trip this turned out to be, probably the best we´ve been on, not only for the spectacular place and wild life but also for the fantastic group of people that we ended up with on our boat- top week.

After the first leg of our flight from Quito to Guayaquil, we had to switch planes and unfortunately had a three hour delay. However, every cloud has a silver lining and ours was Andy, a guy from Brighton who has been travelling around the world for the last year who suggested we use the delay time wisely and head to the local off licence -we immediately bonded. Thirty bottles of wine and five bottles of spirits later, I knew we were in good company. The week turned into more of a booze cruise around the Galapagos !!! What fun.

So onto the Galapagos Islands, a group of volcanic Islands 600 miles off the coast of Ecuador where Charles Darwin formulated his theories of evolution and natural selection. This is one of the few remaining areas of the world that remains untouched by humans and the wildlife that have no real predators have no fear of humans allowing you to walk amongst them freely, quite amazing…its like natures very own Disney world!

We chose to take a Catamaran trip for the 7 nights and as I said ended up with such a great bunch of people from all over the world that really made the week. Throughout the week we would sail through the night to a different location and head out in the morning to explore the new island we arrived at.

With our diving licenses in hand, we took full advantage of the spectacular diving opportunities and went out on a further 3 dives throughout the week, all of which were fantastic. The waters there have an amazing array of sea life and we where swimming with sharks, sting rays, turtles, penguins, sea lions and all types of tropical fish. The highlight of the dives was the 3rd in which our dive master determined to find us Hammerhead sharks took us down to a depth of 29 metres, which is deep, and sure enough after a few minutes of being down, along came a group of 4 Hammerheads, just incredible...

After 7 nights onboard the boat we had booked one final night on land on the islands best hotel (courtesy of our amex points!) and as luck would have it they upgraded us to the royal suite which had its own private outdoor Jacuzzi and sauna. The place was bigger than our apartment in New York! Total bliss and the perfect end to our trip to the Galapagos.

Hope you dont hate us too much!
Thinking of you...
John & Rox xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

What a face...What a face...
What a face...

This baby sealion was just a few weeks old.
Big Daddy at 400 lbsBig Daddy at 400 lbs
Big Daddy at 400 lbs

comes thundering out the sea, fastest Ive moved all trip.
Sea IguanasSea Iguanas
Sea Iguanas

Fighting for a patch of rock...
Blue Footed Boobys Blue Footed Boobys
Blue Footed Boobys

Keeping an eye out for the catch of the day
Andy and Rox Andy and Rox
Andy and Rox

Having an impromptu rave at the Galapagos!!!
Galapagos HawkGalapagos Hawk
Galapagos Hawk

Having a spot of seal for lunch...
Albatros with babyAlbatros with baby
Albatros with baby

These birds have 2 meter wingspans, while we where here the BBC where filming this bird for a show called around the Equater on BBC2 Sept 10th 9.00 pm...


Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 69; dbt: 0.2729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb