Enchanted Isles


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
November 30th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

North Seymour IslandsNorth Seymour IslandsNorth Seymour Islands

This island had quite a bit of Palo Santo Trees.
Day 5 - We sailed to the island of North Seymour.

Seymour Island is one of the more exciting islands when it comes to bird life. We saw Frigate Birds, Blue Footed Boobies, and Swallow Tailed Gulls.

The Frigatebirds were neat to watch. Frigatebirds are known for their red pouch on their necks. During mating season the males thrown back their heads, inflate the pouch (sometimes to the size of a soccer ball), and shake trying to capture the attention of female frigates. Frigatebirds named for the warships once used by pirates are the pirates of Galapagos birds. Frigatebirds are poor fishers as their bodies produce very little oil for their wings and they are not waterproof. Unable to spend time in the water fishing they must rely on food stolen from other birds to feed themselves and their young.

Boobies and Frigates share an interesting relationship. Sharing the same nesting area on North Seymour Blue Footed Boobies nest on the ground making their nests from the twigs of the palo santos trees, while the Frigate bird nests just above them in the saltbushes.

We didn't snorkel that day. We had to drop off the first group
Sea Lion & PupSea Lion & PupSea Lion & Pup

Mother & baby are bonding.
of tourists and board the second group.

The day ended with a superb sunset!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 83; dbt: 0.146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb