A Galapagos Dream


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
August 8th 2007
Published: August 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The eight days we spent in the Galapagos were a complete dream come true. Half of the time we were based on a boat. The San Jose definitely did not match the usual standards of accommodation for our trip. Our cabin was bigger than most of the rooms we have stayed in, had TWO outside windows AND a bathroom!! We had got a great deal on this last-minute first class boat - a lovely treat near the end of our trip. The remaining time we staying in a more modest B and B in Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz island - it was good to be on solid ground again by this stage!

As soon as we stepped off the plane there were animals to greet us - two land iguanas and a couple of benches of sealions as well as frigate birds and pelicans - all before we had even got to our boat. That afternoon we went on a panga ride (inflatable dingy) and spotted our first boobies (of the blue-footed variety), turtles and even a couple of young reef sharks. The day continued well with a sealion catching a lift on the back of our boat and 2
Underwater stand-offUnderwater stand-offUnderwater stand-off

Such a highlight of this year
Galapagos sharks circling the boat after it got dark. It was difficult getting to sleep with all the excitement!! Fortunately our posh beds were comfy and clean and pillows freshly plumped...

Over the next couple of days we sailed between islands making stops for walks, panga rides and snorkelling. The snorkelling was definitely the highlight for us, especially when we were joined by friendly, playful sealions. One afternoon we had the pleasure of fun sealions and 5 massive turtles within a couple of metres of us. When a Galapagos Shark then swam by our day just couldn't get any better!

We visited the Galapagos in peak period which is also when the seas are at their roughest. Fortunately, after an episode of pharmacy charades, we had possession of some brilliant tablets which ensured that Ang did not turn green, although they did turn her a bit ditzy. Stong-stomached-Pete felt absolutely fine until the evening when our guide put on a documentary about the islands and the vampire finches with very graphic images, which combined with the rocking, led to a few empty spaces at the dinner tables that night. Don't worry though, Pete did not miss the meal.
The Giant Tortoises are huge...The Giant Tortoises are huge...The Giant Tortoises are huge...

...but this picture makes them look massive.


We spent quite a lot of time on Santa Cruz island, visiting the Charles Darwin Research Station, posing next to Giant Tortoises and learning about the natural history of the islands. Even Pete was a geography geek this week. In the days that we spent staying on this island we enjoyed relaxing and wildlife spotting at Tortuga Bay, a beautiful beach and lagoon with resident young reef sharks and rays. We also joined a day trip to Floreana Island where we again swam with sealions, rays, turtles and even a sea snake. Luckily(?) the water was quite cold, even with a wet suit, otherwise we would probably still swimming there, badly immitating the quick, graceful movements of the sealions.

We met some great people on our boat, shared in the excitement of being so close to such amazing animals and had a few drinks and laughs too. The buzz of these islands and experiences is going to stay with us all for a long time to come.




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The male crabs seem very angry they have been called SallyThe male crabs seem very angry they have been called Sally
The male crabs seem very angry they have been called Sally

Up close and personal with a Sally Lightfoot Crab
Sea snake - aren't these dangerous?!Sea snake - aren't these dangerous?!
Sea snake - aren't these dangerous?!

Pete's reaction was to go closer to get a good snap for the album. Ang's reaction was a rapid getaway.
Ray - not of the stinging variety luckilyRay - not of the stinging variety luckily
Ray - not of the stinging variety luckily

Easily hidden by the sea weed but once you looked closely these rays were all over the sea floor in a lagoon close to Floreana island.
Family PortraitFamily Portrait
Family Portrait

The mum was just as playful as the pups
Inquisitive PupInquisitive Pup
Inquisitive Pup

They loved to pose for the camera
Marine IguanaMarine Iguana
Marine Iguana

Who's a pretty boy then
Pete's favourite Booby shotPete's favourite Booby shot
Pete's favourite Booby shot

Of the blue-footed variety
This sealion started playing in the water next to our boatThis sealion started playing in the water next to our boat
This sealion started playing in the water next to our boat

so we had to jump in despite the icy water and strong current!
Giant TurtleGiant Turtle
Giant Turtle

He completely ignored us and the 2m Galapagos Shark who swam by
Lonesome GeorgeLonesome George
Lonesome George

Running away from one of his hareem. Last of the Pinto Island Saddlebacks and he just does not want to get his leg over.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb