Galapagos - dive day 4... the last chance


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
May 28th 2007
Published: May 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A smelly sea lionA smelly sea lionA smelly sea lion

Aren´t they cute?!
We hadn't actually planned on diving today but due to the lack of hammerheads we ended up on a boat again today launching ourselves off at Gordon Rocks - the place i said i'd never go after the tales of horror which we've heard!! Apparently this is an advanced dive which should only be attempted after 30 dives or more but who cares about rules eh?! Our divemaster from the day before cleared us both for this dive as apparently we're calm enough under water to cope (big kids and all that)!

The first dive was actually pretty calm current wise. We pretty much floated along with the current and only found one nasty bit where there was up and down surges making it difficult to stay in one place!! We saw about 5 turtles right at the beginning of the dive and then a school of eagle and golden rays which was amazing. We saw another school of barracuda and thousands and thousands of fish. It was like jumping in an aquarium and the visibility was amazing which made spotting animals child's play. After this dive i was left wondering why it was an advanced dive site (although we did go down to 27 metres which PADI would i'm sure be very upset about)!

The second dive was a bit of a different experience and we realised why you need to be confident to dive here! The current was amazingly strong and it made swimming pretty tough. At times it was almost impossible to swim and it was a struggle to stop yourself going backwards! We even had to hold on to the rocks for a while because the surge was something else! We did however see everything!! When we first got in i saw loads of HAMMERHEADS!! Simon unfortunately was busy picking his nose at the time (god knows what he was doing but there were about 10 of them and they were pretty close. Doh)! We did however see loads more HAMMERHEADS though so he got to see them later, allbeit from a bit further away. We also saw the school of rays again but this time there were loads of them and they were massive and even closer than before! We also saw turtles, a sea lion, two small white tipped sharks, a massive school of tuna (which i was either picking my nose for or i don't know what tuna looks like when it's not in a can)! This dive was AMAZING... we saw everything all at once and holding on tot he rocks meant you could get your face in the holes and look for hiding fish! A bumphead parrotfish came really close to us and i saw a red snapper hiding from us and the surge!

It was undoubtedly the best dive we've done but i think we got a good day because we've heard that the current out there can be horrific! All the better for us eh?!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb