Equador part 2.... Galapagos, Santa Cruz.


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
December 3rd 2006
Published: November 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We decided to travel to Galapagos 5 days before the cruise started.

Up early (well 6.30am) on 18th November in time for an 8am flight with AeroGal. Touchdown was at one of two airports on Galapagos, Baltra Island, which is separated by a 100m channel from Santa Cruz Island, the main centre of habitation in Galapagos. A 1.5hr Bus -homemade ferry - Bus combo got us to the sleepy tropical island town of Puerto Ayora. Good to be back in the sun and heat and away from the stress of Quito!

The journey from the North was amazing as it changed dramatically from barren cactus-scape in the rain shadow side one minute to lush green pastures on the windward side. Even saw a giant tortoise being sniffed by a horse in a field on the way.

We quickly found a double for 23USD/night at Espanol hostel thanks to San's pre-research and Richy's bargaining and set about sussing out the small town. The climate here is perfect - not humid but just warm enough with a nice cool breeze blowing. People are friendly.

Day 1: Out of bed at about 7am, we walked the 3km through a cactus forest to Tortuga bay - a beautiful fine white sandy beach stretching about 1km from end to end. We were soon greeted by several marine iguanas making their daily walk up the beach to their feeding grounds. We spent the next 3 hours making friends with birds, iguanas, pelicans and fish in the surf. They are not wrong when they advise travellers to bring lots and lots of film (if you are not yet in the digital age!).

A substantial part of the afternoon was spent at the fish market watching the fishermen gut their catch and the pelicans, frigates and the odd heron queing up for the spoils. A naughty fur seal even quietly waddled up and made away with a 3 kg fish! Later in the day we landed a days diving at Floreana Island with Galapagos Divers who have a shop right opposite the main square. Divings not cheap here - 130USD each for 2 dives but what to do leh?

Day 2: Up at 6am for a 7am start from the jetty on a clear, calm, sunny day. Blue footed boobies were diving for fish and the seals threaded their way amongst the boats as we left. There was plenty of room during the 2 hour journey (yawn) across to Floreana as 5 of the divers were being picked up from a cruise boat the other side.

Maybe Richy is getting a bit too long in the tooth for this diving, or have been spoilt over the years with quality asian diving but he was not that impressed and that has left him wondering whether the USD7000+ investment in a cruise was a wise move - you will get to read about whether it is or not later. There were plentiful schools of smaller fish, barracuda, white tip sharks, turtles, marble rays and a few galapagos sharks (grey sharks with a difference) but the overcast day didn't put them in a favourable light. San was impressed with how the fish would just lie around on the rocks and sand like they were sun bathing. Water temperature was an invigorating 23 degrees C, viz about 15 to 20 m. The highlight for Rich was the snorkelling with seals during the surface interval - they swim corkscrews around you while blowing bubbles - great experience. Full of nitrogen we closed in early for some deep zzzzzzzz's.

The rest of the time, we have been walking around and finally made our way to the Charles Darwin Centre to watch the feeding of the giant tortoises and the land iguanas that they keep in captivity for breeding and re-population purposes.

Now on the eve before the cruise, we are keen for a bit of luxury aboard Mistral for 10 days. Wish us luck for schooling hammerheads, whale sharks and all that Darwin and Wolf (the best of the islands for diving) have to offer....

PS surprise of surprises, we bumped into one of richy's ex-colleagues, Simon from Shell Oil. Small world....



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Big boy....Big boy....
Big boy....

Every 10m or so is a large male... they are very teritorial bobbing their heads vigirously and snorting water out of their nostrals if you approach...
I{ve never seen such large fish so close to shore...I{ve never seen such large fish so close to shore...
I{ve never seen such large fish so close to shore...

This was in no less than 1 ft of water...


23rd November 2006

Great outing Richard & San San
it is such a wonderful place in the world. always wishing both of you the very best in your journey
24th November 2006

had enough yet?
just read the whole trip so far. sorry you are having such a "miserable" time. never mind, good old england should sort you out!! have a great time and dont over do it Rich , we are clocking on 40 you know.
25th November 2006

Bloody hell
Reading your site is like watching Planet Earth on a Sunday night. We all log on to see your photographs!! I love it all - from the Cuban portraits to these amazing Galapagos pics - what a journey! How will you ever stay in one place after this? lol
28th November 2006

congratulations
Hey Richie, really envious of going to the galapogos islands, Good on you for exploring the Americas. I hope you have a fantastic time on your cruise. Take care and come back safe.
7th December 2006

Fantastic
Very Bless to be so close to nature and god's creation. Be very safe and come home soon. Seeing and experiencing first hand it must be very very special. See you soon Merry Christmas! 2006
11th December 2006

Clocking on 40!!
Alright Mathew - some of you still have 11 months to go - I've got 6 weeks!!
19th December 2006

whats up ?
Been trying to track you down .... rumours abound .... Jugger reported he heard Mexico 'fouled' up ... so you've obviously been thru there ... heard u might be back in UK .... let us know ... will be in UK till Jan 7th then back to Sing ... Cheers Immy PS Baron offers Lagos hospitality if needed ...
20th December 2006

Slow at updating blog.... sorry
Hope everyone is OK and the excitement leading up to Xmas is fun. Currently in SE Bolivia. Been travelling like crazy since Galapagos with no time or resources to update the blog. We land at Heathrow 28th Dec and will proabably go straight down to Wales then up to London to do some visas around 7th January... Looking forward to seeing those of you in UK. Drop us a quick email or message to let us know your moves. cheers, Rich and San
25th January 2007

SPECTACULAR
Galapagos Island ! Spectacular. One of teh places which I plan to go (if ever)....

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb