Santa Cruz - Puerto Ayora


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our only day without snorkeling... All day on Puerto Ayora with giant tortoises! In the morning we went up to the highlands to a "farm" to see the tortoises. They weren't in captivity, and they could go in and out of the national park, they're just more protected. We saw a couple within the farm and then also some in the national park in the actual wild. They are huge! Just like in the pictures. Massive! Some of the younger ones were smaller, but still big! They can live 150-200 years and they walk 15 km over a couple of months to the beach to lay their eggs, but then they return to the highlands to live.

Before lunch we had some time to explore Puerto Ayora. We walked into town away from the tourist strip by the harbor, but it was all either pretty touristy or just neighborhoods.

In the afternoon we went to the Charles Darwin Research Center. There was information about the islands and tortoises, we saw baby tortoises (yes, they are pretty small when they're born, but still not tiny), and some adults. We also saw Lonesome George (last remaining member of one of the subspecies). Supposedly we were lucky to see him too because often recently he has been hiding out in his enclosure so most people haven't gotten to see him. They're trying to have him mate with another subspecies to and least partially continue his line but not too much success until a couple months ago. Then there were some eggs but as of yet they haven't hatched.

Then some more time in Puerto Ayora before dinner and then back again in the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

I want a bite!I want a bite!
I want a bite!

Look for the sea lion...


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb