Lava tunnels and more giant turtles


Advertisement
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The night before coming to the Galapagos I stopped of in Guayaquil and there I met a lovely girl from Brighton called Jenny, who helped me sort my ticket and was also coming to the Galapagos the following day. As I passed on the mass of information that scott gave me, she ended up staying in the same hostel, and same room over here, along with 2 of her friends; Charlie from wales, and Kristina from Norway.

Anyway, we all went on a day tour upto the highlands on santa Cruz to see the lava tunnels, more giant turtles and a large inactive crater. Firstly we went to see more turtles, but this time at a farm. The best part about the farm was the ability to get inside some of the turtle shells on display - this was highly entertaining. First Charlie, then Kristina, then Jenny then me, each crawled inside and had photos taken.

As we were catching out breath from such an entertaining 10 mins of shell action, an american boy caught our attention when he managed to stand up inside the shell..hilarious. Then a girl, also part of his tour group decided this was a good idea and made a poor attempt to stand up too. Unsuccessfully she lay there looking quite disheartened, innocently unaware of what the american lad was up to..... so this boy proceeded to walk behind here and position himself as though mating her...at this point I was crying with laughter, especially as he looked around and said "jees I didnt realise there were so many kids around" haha classic! See the photos, they truly represent the moment.

Then we went up to some (inactive) lava tunnels which were quite interesting, dark and damp. Jenny wasnt so keen being clostraphobic, especially when we had to crawl through a section where the cealing was only 1m high (we all got muddy knees), so she hastily went through the tunnels in some speed while Kristina, Charlie and I messed around.

Following this we went to a large crator not far from the tunnels - nothing hugely exciting, although rather deep - not one to fall into!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb