Galapagos - Day 1


Advertisement
Published: August 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


San Cristobal Island

We flew in to the Galapagos at just about noon today, and headed straight for the boat that would be our home for the next 3 days. Our naturalist guide, Javier, grew up in the Galapagos and knows everything about them. We had a great lunch, and checked out our nice rooms, complete with a windowed side for optimal viewing!

Sea Lion Island

We landed on a small island here, covered with Sally Lightfoot Crabs. There were Sea Lions everywhere! It was hard not to step on them... they don't move and don't even wake up from their naps when you step right next to them.

We saw many Blue Footed Boobies, who nest on the island. They always have two chicks, but spaced several days apart, and its rare that the younger one lives. You can tell the gender of the Boobies by the size of their pupils (males have very tiny pupils) and also the sound they make.

Flying overhead were Frigatebirds, who are the pirates of the Galapagos, always trying to steal food from others.

We also saw several Marine Iguanas, the only marine lizard in the world. They eat red and green algae in the ocean, and come back to land to sunbathe and warm up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb