Holy Galapagos!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Puerto Ayora
February 24th 2013
Published: February 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well Galapagos is truly an amazing place! This is our third day here, and so far the weather has been 31 and sunny every day. The owner of our hostel says its like this pretty much all year. There are only 20000 galapagos indigenous people left on the islands who are outnumbered 10x by iguanas, sea lions, and tortoises. The local people are very friendly and hard working. It is an amazingly safe place to visit which is really nice. There seems to be no boundaries between nature and humans here which is probably its greatest feature. It makes you realize how much we have screwed up our world. Here, thanks to strict regulation, the animals have little fear of humans, and due to the lack of development, humans haven't destoyed the animals natural habitat yet. It is very common to be walking around iguanas or sea lions in the middle of town.

We made some new friends upon arrival, and the five of us headed out yesterday for several adventures including giant tortoise breeding grounds(it is amazing to see these huge creatures in there natural environment ), cool lava tunnels, a huge gorge, beautiful sandy beach, and refreshing swim in a spring fed freshwater gorge with 40 foot cliffs on either side, 40 feet deep and crystal clear water. You could climb up the cliffs and and jump into the water from crying heights from about 15 feet to 40 feet. Locals were having a great time jumping from the top and doing back flips from 25 feet. 12 feet was good enough for me, as it was difficult to climb the cliff. Tomorrow we leave for another island, isabela, a 2 hour ferry ride. We plan to stay there for three days then hop on a boat for a 5 day adventure around more remote areas only accessible by multi day cruises. Sorry about the lack of photos, but the photo uploader for ipad doesn't seem to work with our blog site, and Facebook will only allow one photo at a time. We will try to post a few photos on Facebook for now. Hope everyone is doing well, probably won't be in touch again for about a week with new and exciting news!

Adios,

G and R

Advertisement



25th February 2013

Hello from us!
Sounds like you two are having a great time & getting an education as well. Happy to hear you've made some new friends & have gotten to cool off in the beautiful clear springs on the hot days. Stay safe & we look forward to more interesting & educational blogs in a week or so. All is fine here. Dad got a clean bill of health from the Dr. in Hlfx. Thinking of you often. Luv M&D.
25th February 2013

Amazing!
We have been watching David Attenborough's Galapagos with the girls, and that is, unfortunately, as close as we will get this time. It sounds amazing! Have a great time! Ps are you using fb app on your ipad, or the regular browser version? You should be able to do multiple pics on the app one...
2nd March 2013

Hi guys!
Sounds like you are having a blast! Looking forward to more of your adventures and photos :) Barb & Peter

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb