Floreana.. Santa Cruz AGAIN


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Floreana Island
December 23rd 2009
Published: December 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Floreana is one of the 4 inhabited islands in the Galapagos. In the 1700s a post office barrel was built by the locals in order to facilitate the delivery of mail to Europe and the United States. Now, this area of Floreana is called Post Office Bay, and the barrel remains there. It is tradition that whoever visits this area brings a postcard addressed to themselves with a short message on it about your time in the Galapagos. When you leave your postcard in the barrel you must sift through the other postcards, find one addressed to someone near you, and deliver it when you go home. Another popular thing to do is pick a random postcard out of the pile, allowing this random action to determine your next travel destination.

We landed on the beach just after sunrise and did a quick hike to a hidden lagoon. Here we seen over 100 flamingos, and even a baby that was still white! In the afternoon we waded down into an underground lava tunnel. The water in the tunnel was partially salt water, but mostly rainwater, and VERY cold. It was probably about the same temperature as the river water I was teaching swimming lessons in this summer.

All of the crew members from all the different boats met up for a soccer game on the beach. We all watched and cheered them on!

When we got back on the boat everyone was hot from the soccer, so we went swimming off the boat. Some of the passengers (me, Joanna, kids, etc..) were daring enough to jump off the side of the boat. But only me and Joanna jumped of the roof, which was quite high up!!

That night we would not be cruising and would stay parked in the Santa Cruz harbor. This meant we were allowed to go out on the town! Since it was my last night on the boat they had a goodbye cake and cocktails. The crew didn´t dress up, but it was still pretty awesome!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 7; ; mem: 1mb