ECUADOR- Week 4 Rainforest, 31st Jan-6th Feb


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » Tena
March 27th 2009
Published: March 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Week 4

The week started with Duncan and Connie teaming up for their first teaching expererience....very daunting for them but highly rewarding. After the working week fininshed we were rewarded with a trip to Hector's island. Hector is an ex guide from the Yachana reserve who bought the island. It acts as a non-reintroductory sanctuary for monkeys where they can live wild without threat from hunters. He has 9 out of the 17 species that exist in Ecuador.

We assisted with some trail maintenance and were rewarded with lunch and a tour of the island spotting the wildlife (including wooly and white-fronted saki monkeys) and being introduced to the useful plants that grow in the rain forest. We also had fun making our own blow darts and getting in some target practice. Then like all Ecuadorians Hector was up for a game of football on a nearby sand bank in the river. On our second day we set off for a tour of Coca market sampling the local delicacies, which included roasted palm grubs and agouti kebabs.

All in all it was a great place to spend the weekend, thanks to Hector for allowing us to stay on his island.





Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb