Rafting on the Rio Pastaza


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
June 2nd 2006
Published: June 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well a quick update for all you people back at home.

Thursday the 1st was a total washout in Baños - felt like I was back in England with the amount of rain there was - it literally rained all day apart from a 2 hour window of cloudiness. So I decided to have a lazy day - did a bit of my teaching english course and then spent a couple of hours at the hot baths which are outdoors so it was quite cool being submerged in 32oC water when it was raining!! Was not totally peaceful as my visit coincided with a 40 children strong school trip!!

However, there was one advantage of the rain on Thursday and that was for whitewater rafting on Friday - yeay!! As it had rained so much the river was crazy - the guides said it was the best it had been for a long time and our guide Andreas was particularly insane and headed us for all the biggest rapids on the river. At one point we were standing in the boat and he also made us get out and hang on to the side whilst being dragged down through the river - nice!! He also chucked us all out of the boat at the end so was totally minging by the end of it all. It was so much fun though and I am definitely going to have to do it again.

When we got back there was some kind of parade / carnival on in town so I spent a few hours there - it was like a mini Nottinghill Carnival.

Friday night was spent out in Baños at the Leprechan bar - we got given some flaming shots to drink which was the start of the slide down a slippery drunken slope of doom! Eventually got home at around 3:30 am with a Canyoning trip to do at 9:30 the next day - will write that adventure in a separate blog as it deserves one whole entry all of it´s own!

Hasta luego K xXx

Advertisement



7th June 2006

hello
Hi Karen your whole trip sounds amazing so far have to say tho it sounds like you missing cov a lot!!Can't believe how much u have done already its mad. River rapids sound awesome am so jealous. Not long till i'm off now tho just counting the days. Yippee. Take care love Rach
13th June 2006

Hey keite, I'm jealous, sounds wicked, mum and me are planning the trip should be real good. gonna graduate soon, finished all uni stuff i have no direction anymore, haha!! make sure you take care of yourself, mesit xx

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb