Under the Volcano


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
January 13th 2010
Saved: December 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Letting Off SteamLetting Off SteamLetting Off Steam

After a long stretch of inactivity, Tungurahua Volcano began to spew steam on January 1st.
Mama Tungurahua started making noise and spewing steam again on January 1st. The active volcano is the star of this blog entry!


From Shana's house, 5 miles from the volcano's crater and 2 miles from her base, we could hear rumbling and churning all throughout the day. It sounded like a propeller plane hovering overhead.


In the mornings, when the sky was often clear, great churning plumes of smoke were visible spouting from the crater. The first few days they were bright white, probably steam - but soon enough dark grey columns of ash would form, pulsing forth with each new rumble. I must have shot 150 photos in all -- I couldn't stop snapping -- the images grew more dramatic after each click of the lens.


The wind blew most of the ash over the hills and away from the valley where Banos is situated. The town of Banos was evacuated about 12 years ago when the volcano began to erupt in earnest and thick flows of lajar (ash mixed with mud) blocked all the road in and out of the town. It took Shana almost 10 years to return to her home in
Rosy Ash DisplayRosy Ash DisplayRosy Ash Display

During the first week of the new year, the volcano built up power and began churning out ash. Amazing colors at sunrise and sunset.
Banos, but she's been living back there for several years now.



At night, the neighborhood dogs would start up a chorus of barking and howling. Did they know something we didn't? Even with my earplugs in, it became hard to sleep through the night. Was it the energy of Mama Tungurahua, rumbling like an internal blender? Or perhaps the occasional, bed-shaking kerthnks that rattled the windows in their frames and sent me running out to see if I could catch a glimpse of the lava flow (I did twice! - but I never once felt frightened by the volcanic activity).



At the hot baths and in town the volcano was all anyone could talk about. Early morning, soaking in the mineral springs we would ponder if the water actually felt hotter due to the volcanic activity. Shana's cardiologist came by to check her blood pressure and told us that he'd just been to an evacuation preparation meeting in the nearby city of Ambato. We should expect to hear them trying out the sirens in the coming day, he said. But, he stressed, I will call you directly and personally if there's any reason to
Georgia O'Keefe Cloud BackdropGeorgia O'Keefe Cloud BackdropGeorgia O'Keefe Cloud Backdrop

Each time I looked up at the mountain, she presented a new and fascinating facade. The play of ash and cloud got my camera clicking at full speed!
be worried.



Some of the volunteers who had been working at the library (la BIB - Biblioteca Interactiva de Banos) packed a small emergency bag to have close at hand, but Shana and I continued our routine of morning scrabble, working in the garden, cooking sumptuous meals. Mangos were in season so at 4 for a dollar we bought a bunch and made a huge batch on mango chutney (yum!) to give away as holiday gifts. Since Shana and I worked together on the chutney, I gave it the label, Cuatro Manos (four hands).



I loved being able to just step out into the garden and pick broccoli or turnips or carrots or beets. The lemon and tangerine trees were always laded with fruit, as were the black raspberry vines. Not to mention the fresh herbs from the raised spirals. Amazingly satisfying to eat directly from the garden!



Plenty of socializing over the holidays...on Xmas eve we were invited to Mac's Dad's 60th Bday gathering. Mac and Meghan managed to get almost 20 of their relatives to come down from the US to join Jack in celebrating his milestone birthday. Shana
Ash TableauAsh TableauAsh Tableau

Once she'd been pumping ash for hours, the new plumes which followed each rumble made an overlay contrast on the dispersing ash.
and I were honored to be included in the dinner party. The following day, Mac & his brother & his Dad took off to climb Cotopaxi volcano...sounds like a good thing to do when you turn 60!



Christmas night a group of the library volunteers coordinate a big turkey dinner at Stephanie's ample (and bizarrely decorated) apartment. The fake stone painting places the decor as Early Flintstone! A delicious and joyful time was had by all! New Year's eve was very low key -- asleep before midnight, but awakened by the boom booms so I peeked out in my nighty to watch the fireworks display below in the town. Even though it's a quirky custom to burn effigies representing the "old year", I decided to forgo the crowds int he streets and try to get a good night's sleep. Especially important since I had to work the next day. On New Year's day I offered an extra pair of hands to my friend Patrick, a restaurant owner who was to cater a party of 60 wealthy Ambatenos. All went smoothly -- very well organized and coordinated. In repayment, Shana and I enjoyed a huge, elegant meal at
Boby on the BridgeBoby on the BridgeBoby on the Bridge

I enjoyed a slumber party overnight visit to friends who are renting an adorable cabin on the road to the jungle, an hour beyond Banos.
his restaurant.



I continued to remain very active with the library - facilitating Tuesday evening Intercambios (Exchange) -- a challenge to plan for as you never know how many Spanish speakers and how many English speakers will show up. I left some planning and activities tips with the volunteers who will be continuing the weekly Intercambios. I took a group of young volunteers down to the next town for a Rural Literacy Outreach Program on Saturday. Perhaps I'll have some photos from this excursion on my next blog. The most fun was the pipecleaner eyeglasses that everyone made and wore!



Took a short break from Banos, heading down to visit friends who are renting a cottage in Mera - an hour past Banos towards the jungle. Jody and Boby invited me for a sleepover at their hideaway cabin. It's built above the confluence of two creeks...it's said to be auspicious to live over water. I just found it relaxing and peaceful!! We played cards (Grandpa, I still haven't forgotten how to play Casino!), did some embroidery projects, watched the leafcutter ants make their industrious great marches, and marvelled at the flora.


Jody at the Mera houseJody at the Mera houseJody at the Mera house

Bathing Beauty Jody hangs out the wet towels after our swim adventure at the water park.

Together we explored the Mera Water Park, a dammed up swimming hole, big water slides, etc. Boby is a big kid (older than I am!) and he tried zooming down the slides on his blow-up raft (reduces friction he claims). He got to go a few times before the raft was punctured! If felt great to swim in COLD water (it was nippy!) -- I'd been keeping up with the 3x wkly swims in the warm pools at the hot baths - swimming in bathwater is a very different experience -- the bracing chill of the waterpark pools set my heart racing as I swam hard and fast to keep warm.



Having a truck definitely has its downsides...first off, I don't do near as much walking as I should. I made an effort to get out for a hike at least once a week. Really enjoyed observing the finer details of Banos culture and beauty. Some of the attached pictures should give you a glimpse of what I was seeing. Next downside, repairs! A mechanic just down the hill from Shana's house helped me to get new shocks installed, as well as other repairs and adjustments. I
Lip Blossom...mwah!Lip Blossom...mwah!Lip Blossom...mwah!

Right beside Jody & Bobby's cabin we found these unusual flowers. When they first bloom they have a bright blue center!
would drop off my truck for work and set off on foot for exploring! And finally, the biggest hassle of all is getting the truck re-registered every year.



Administrivia in Ecuador is beyond nightmarish! I finally hired a legwork man to guide me thru the maze of inspections and paperwork. I had to have documents notarized giving him permission to represent me, and help me change the provice where I register my vehicle. Since I bought it in Guayaquil, I'd been having someone else help me keep it legal down there...but now that they've passed a law that you MUST do you OWN registration, I got (what I thought were) all the necessary documents to change the province. OY! Let's just say that $350+ and several months of running around later and I'm still driving on expired documents (with bank receipts proving I've paid up thru 2010, but no official documents in my hands yet.) What a maze of confusion, miscommunication and ineptitude. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get it all legal before long.



I enjoyed getting back to teaching Spanish again. For the last few weeks I was in Banos I worked
Red BananasRed BananasRed Bananas

A sure sign you're dropping down towards the jungle.
2 hrs a day with Stephanie, a Canadian volunteer who's been travelling thru Latin America for 8 months with her kids. As I was preparing to leave Banos, she and the kids threw me a big farewell party. It was nice (and a bit embarrassing) to be lauded as a valuable volunteer at the library.


HEY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!I know the economy sucks just about everywhere but I'd like to give you an update on the little coastal school where I am the godmother, and make another PLEA for DONATIONS.



We have finally succeeded in getting the school fiscalized, meaning that the Ecuadorian Ministry of Education is paying a teacher's salary (one teacher for 30+ kids in 7 grades!) as well as providing books, uniforms, breakfasts and lunches. I will continue to help supplement one more salary, so there will be at least 2 teachers to cover all the grades.



In addition, we are in need of donations for our SCHOLARSHIP FUND. There are currently 4 students who have graduated from the primary school (goes thru 7th grade) and are receiving financial assistance (from our FUND) to cover their High School Education (8th-12th grade)
New Year's DolliesNew Year's DolliesNew Year's Dollies

It's the custom here to dress these papier mache effigies and stuff the pockets with the past year's memories, then burn them on New Year's Eve.
in Puerto Lopez (25 minute bus ride from Las Cabanas de Ayampe, where the primary school is located). It costs about $360 per kid per school year - this includes bus fare, matriculation fees, uniforms, books, and school supplies.



If you could squeeze out a check for even $25 or $50 to help us out, we'd be very grateful. I am convinced that one (or more) of these kids will go on to make a difference for their community and for their country! As in the past, my friend in Atlanta will receive the checks and deposit them in my stateside account (so the checks should be made out to me, Jill Sare). I will then make the transfer to the Ecuadorian bank where we have our scholarship account. SO - put your check in an envelope addressed to:
June Neumark, 702 Cedar Chase Cir NE, Atlanta, GA 30324 MIL GRACIAS!!!



My next travel blog will be coming up soon....I'm in relax mode for the next few weeks, with lots of time on my hands so stay tuned for news of my week with the Engineers Without Borders and my arrival on the coast
Roasting Cuy (guinea pigs!)Roasting Cuy (guinea pigs!)Roasting Cuy (guinea pigs!)

Downtown Banos -- the smell of roasting rodent wafts through the street. They first spin them on a metal wheel to cook them slowly.
again after several months away. All too soon, I'll kick into high gear again to go back for managing the hotel for 2 more months.



Would love to hear from you if you have time to drop me a note!!! Much love from Jill










Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Walking Bundle of GrassesWalking Bundle of Grasses
Walking Bundle of Grasses

This is actually a very short person, headed down the hill from Shana's house, having collected dinner greens for their animals.
Pig & DogPig & Dog
Pig & Dog

All along the highway there are hanging pigs, waiting to be fried or roasted. I get grossed out by the puddle of blood beneath their butt.
Melcocha TaffyMelcocha Taffy
Melcocha Taffy

This local sugar cane candy could explain why there are so many dentists in Banos!
Bathmats and Church TowersBathmats and Church Towers
Bathmats and Church Towers

Great view of the Banos Basilica, taken from Stephanie's rooftop on Christmas Eve. Melodic voices of nuns were wafting up from the Cathedral.
Abundant Fruits!Abundant Fruits!
Abundant Fruits!

Just 45 min beyond Banos, passing thru the tunnels toward the jungle, I discoveraed new hotel/restaurant right on a rushing river. Great food and lovely touches like this wooden fruit bowl.
Dress-up birthday partyDress-up birthday party
Dress-up birthday party

On my last visit to Quito, I was the official photographer for "Princess" Martina's 7th birthday party. Fun to see all the kids in costume.
Birthday ClownBirthday Clown
Birthday Clown

All the kids had so much fun with two silly clowns - university students who were hired for the day to coordinate games and activities.
beauty in unlikely placesbeauty in unlikely places
beauty in unlikely places

morning glory vines alongside discarded tires.
Flowery RooftopFlowery Rooftop
Flowery Rooftop

As I walk around town, I'm struck by glimpses of beauty!
Clothesline from AboveClothesline from Above
Clothesline from Above

A new angle for my continuing series of clotheslines. Taken frm a higher rooftop, looking down on this washing terrace.
Cauliflower Cauliflower
Cauliflower

We didn't manage to harvest this head of cauliflower in time...toss it into the compost, a healthy feast for the worms!
Unfurling DahliaUnfurling Dahlia
Unfurling Dahlia

The beauty of spending time in the garden each day is that you get to catch glimpses of nature in progress.
breathtaking orchidbreathtaking orchid
breathtaking orchid

it looks like the blue blossom was an afterthought, hanging off the edge of the pink accordian-like bloom.
Enormous Trumpet FlowerEnormous Trumpet Flower
Enormous Trumpet Flower

I didn't put up a key to give it scale, but this floripondio blossom was bigger than my head!! Perfect curlicues wisping off of each point.
Volcano With HibiscusVolcano With Hibiscus
Volcano With Hibiscus

I shot this foto three steps from the door of shana's garden guest house when I stayed for two months.
Fancy EarsFancy Ears
Fancy Ears

My last blog entry had an earless Mickey....this guy is all decorated and look at that grin!!


Comments only available on published blogs

30th January 2010

scary!
Hi Jill, Your blog is always incredibly beautifully photographed and written. I will write a check for the school next time I can pay myself, I promised you months ago, I know. The volcano looks really scary - I hope everyone will be safe, and especially you! Love, Regina
31st January 2010

awesome pictures
Hi Jill, · am Judith Barrett´s cousin. I am sitting here in Van. with her, and she showed me your blog. I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures, and all your stories. What a busy lady you are! I understand you are at Playa Escondida right now. We visited Judith there 2 yrs ago. Quite a place. Anyway, I enjoyed your blog! Keep up the good work·
7th April 2010

your envious friend
What beautiful pictures. The beauty there is unending. Love the pictures in your blogs as well as the commentary.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb